Replace the spare? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks in advance for your comments. I've got a stock '04 LC with 18"rims. If I purchase the Nitto Terra Grappler 285 60r18's will I need to replace the spare as well? The spare is a 275 60r18. Tire diameter of the Niito is slighterly larger, but too much to drive on the highway at posted speed limits?

Thanks again.

Yes you will need same diameter spare if you think you going to need it for more than 50 miles. It would upset the diff, traction control, stability control and ABS if you use different diameter tire, Should be OK for short distance emergency.

The tire are about 5-6% larger so your speedo would be off about 5-6% also. But most manufaturer spec the speedometer on the low side. Most allow up to 10% deviation to the low side. So you might be OK but you would need GPS or spedometer calibrator to be sure. I am not familiar with the OEM navigation if they have speed calibration feature or not.

Actually, the proposed 285/60-18 Nitto tire only measures 31.38" which is very close to the stock diameter. If it was a 285/65-18 then it would measure 33".

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I assume you aren't doing a 5 wheel rotation.

You are correct. I'm not doing a 5th wheel rotation. I agree that if I were looking at the 285/65's there would not even be a question. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has any, I'd appreciate that as well.

mcq211 said:
Thanks in advance for your comments. I've got a stock '04 LC with 18"rims. If I purchase the Nitto Terra Grappler 285 60r18's will I need to replace the spare as well? The spare is a 275 60r18. Tire diameter of the Niito is slighterly larger, but too much to drive on the highway at posted speed limits?

Thanks again.
I wouldn't worry too much about the spare unless the Nitto Terra Grappler's are hard to find.

I swapped out my spare when I got some 285/65R18's only because it took several months on backorder to get the BFG A/T's from TireRack. I figured if I needed a replacement tire I'd be out of luck until one was located. Even today, the TireRack site lists the tire as "Not available."

And by-the-way, I am doing the 5 wheel rotation bit just for fun.

--
Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom