Replace rear AVS shocks with regular shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to replace the rear shocks on my 2010 GX 460. I do have a pair of new oem AVS shocks for the front but the rears are way too expensive for a 12 year old rig with 167k miles.

Has anyone replaced the rear AVS shocks with regular ones while keeping the air bags? How did the vehicle ride? I'm not looking for a lift at all, just want the handling to be a little less sloppy.

I did this - no issues. IN fact the aftermarket shock were better.... i tossed out the actuator and just tied up the harness.

BTW, don't dismiss your GX just because it has 167,000 miles. If you've taken care of it, there should be at the very least twice that miles left of fun in it! There would be a lot of people that would gladly buy it off you with that many miles.
Remember we're talking Toyota products here, not Jeep, Land Rover or ....

Thank you @r2m. So far we've taken care of it in terms of maintenance. We are really happy with the GX, except that the space is a bit tight. We did just buy a used 2018 GX 460 that now has ~24k miles for the wife.

Reactions: r2m
Thank you @r2m. So far we've taken care of it in terms of maintenance. We are really happy with the GX, except that the space is a bit tight. We did just buy a used 2018 GX 460 that now has ~24k miles for the wife.
I started mine out with 32k miles almost 5 years ago, and we just cracked 100k a couple months ago. Smiles all the way!!
My wife has a (red) crewcab 4x4 Taco which is a nice compliment to the GX when we need to haul anything.
But there are times I'd like to have a nice comfy sedan. Really love to get a Mercedes CLS's. Either the 1st Gen ('04 - '09) and 3rd Gen (≥ '18).

A CLS would be great. We traded in our '18 340i xdrive when we got the '18 GX 460. It was nice to have the sedan but very unpractical with a car seat in the back. One sedan I'd like to get is the 2014 Mercedes E550. Merc made the 550 in that body style for just 2014 for the US market and it's hard to come by in good shape these days.

A CLS would be great. We traded in our '18 340i xdrive when we got the '18 GX 460. It was nice to have the sedan but very unpractical with a car seat in the back. One sedan I'd like to get is the 2014 Mercedes E550. Merc made the 550 in that body style for just 2014 for the US market and it's hard to come by in good shape these days.
If you're still talking about car seats, that e550 as a coupe would be a headache getting a kiddo in-n-out all the time.
We we first had our daughter, we had Nissan 4x4 extra cap truck and a Porsche 944. Both were 2 + 2 seating.
It didn't take long before my wife and I were done with hoisting our daughter into a quasi back seat. Then came the all-wheel drive minivan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom