Replace inner rubber boot on shift lever? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

trying to replace a torn rubber boot that covers the area where the shift lever enters the tranny on a 78 series troopcarrier. Can’t for the life of me figure out an easy way to do it. Boot is too small to go over the big chunky lever which looks to be glued (??) to the metal part of the lever, and the boot is too small to go over the metal cup just below the spring in the pics. Only way I can see to do it is to use a gear puller to pull off the metal cup from the splines it’s located on, but I don’t know how to press it back on if i do that. Surely toyota thought of a better way to replace such an easy to break item? Anyone else know what to do? Cheers

804F4283-7D1D-4741-B3EA-927362974682.jpeg
FAEB58FF-A2CA-440E-B8A8-41DDB406F46F.jpeg
FDE25CE1-D880-4B41-8ECE-0F34E534422D.jpeg

It slides on from the top. Unscrew the shifter knob, remove the other boots (they will be tight) and slide down.

Hmmm alright I’ll give it a go tomorrow, but the ID of the top of the boot looks way too small to fit over the large bulky shift lever (the big black chunky part). Does that chunky part unscrew from the metal lever?

Thanks Willis, it finally worked! Chucked it in boiling water for a few mins and sprayed some silicone on the stick. Was super easy after that!
Yeah, I used some soap over the stick... worked a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom