Replace 4 speed case or braze it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm getting started on chassis and drive train work for a 1978 fj40. I bought a basket case and got the engine runni g quite well but the trans was out of oil i put used motor oil in to break things loose and find the leak. It shifts and moves under its own power but there is a crack on the lower driver's side, most likely from water and things have a good layer of surface rust inside.

Do i use a different case or braze it? I've never had this issue before.
20220111_120638.jpg

Hello all, I'm getting started on chassis and drive train work for a 1978 fj40. I bought a basket case and got the engine runni g quite well but the trans was out of oil i put used motor oil in to break things loose and find the leak. It shifts and moves under its own power but there is a crack on the lower driver's side, most likely from water and things have a good layer of surface rust inside.

Do i use a different case or braze it? I've never had this issue before.View attachment 2890596
I'd be more concerned about the conditions of the internals first. If the internals are trash, which it soulds like they are, it is likely WELL worth it to just find a new transmission!

I'd be more concerned about the conditions of the internals first. If the internals are trash, which it soulds like they are, it is likely WELL worth it to just find a new transmission!
Your right, I've got another one with a good case but pops out of 2nd so i suppose i should just fix it and quit being a cheap ass

Your right, I've got another one with a good case but pops out of 2nd so i suppose i should just fix it and quit being a cheap ass
At a minimum I’d swap the guts across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom