Repack DONE@@#$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
finished my repack last week....just forgot to post here.

i posted here for the first time couple of months ago when my local dealership gave me a price quote going over $9000 in order to replace the front axle (after they heard the clicking), so about a month-ish ago i ordered parts from Dan, and last week, mustered up the courage to rip open the cruiser.

it took us (my dad and i...me being only 19 right now...) three days....which included meals, sleeping, scourging for tools we thought we needed...but didn't really....buying extra moly grease and gloves...getting new tires, diff oil change, etc. etc.

but i must say....now that i've done it once, it'll be a LOT easier the next time. it took me about 30 minutes to remove the birfield on the second wheel..

(and i've also mastered the brake job business....i should have done them myself long ago..)

the beast* doesn't click anymore. and after the diff oil changes and the birf job + the new tires....the car feels MUCH younger, and much smoother.

this being my first mechanical duty...it was quite a project. neighbors stopped by....
"have you guys done this before?"
"no"
"daaaang.....that's crazy..."

my gloved hands were way too dirty to take pics at any time as well.

all in all.....it was a easy job even for a super mechanical newbie such as myself. my dad had done oil changes and small things before...but nothing as major as taking apart the hub and knuckle of a cruiser. the LAnd Cruiser repair manual was great....the birfield.com step by step was amazing, but most of the birf job was common sense. it wasn't clean, it was time-consuming, but it was a very worthwhile project that will take even shorter the next time around.

thanks to all you folks for little tips and Dan for the parts!

*car was edited to beast...

Last edited:
Good for you, the fear of going in the first time is the biggest hurdle. Plus you did it with you dad, I bet he is super stoked to have done it with you.

Biff said:
Good for you, the fear of going in the first time is the biggest hurdle. Plus you did it with you dad, I bet he is super stoked to have done it with you.

he now refuses to sell the Cruiser under any circumstances.

right now i'm currently pushing 187K miles....so it'll be difficult to sell anyway, but he says he'll drive it until the engine dies.

the_whoster said:
he now refuses to sell the Cruiser under any circumstances.

right now i'm currently pushing 187K miles....so it'll be difficult to sell anyway, but he says he'll drive it until the engine dies.

I'm pushing 164k so I don't blame him. I've done so much on mine, maint., mods, and gen. stuff that it would be hard to get even half my money back. Just change the oil, watch the gen. maintenance and she'll last you for a good long time.

loquito said:
Job well done, now get on that PHH.
Steven :flipoff2:

Don't rush the poor kid, you might scare him off with the PHH :eek: I still haven't done mine. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom