Removing The Transfer Case (TC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WHY:

My rear TC output shaft seal let go recently and my transmission output shaft seal has been leaking for a while, so I needed to pull the TC and make some repairs. The FSM for the '94 does not include any information regarding the removal of the TC. It assumes it is out and on your bench. I think there is a separate service manual for the transmission that includes removing the TC, but I don't have it??? Also, there are several threads discussing conversion of the TC to part time, but none detail removing the TC, or at least I could not find one. If you are replacing only the rear output shaft seal, the TC does not need to be removed. Just the output shaft can be removed from the TC. So, thought I would post this up. It is not that difficult, but without any info in the FSM, it is nice to have a write up and photos to explain the process. Also, I called a local shop and was told that the TC can only be removed with the transmission, which is very wrong.

TOOLS: socket set 3/8" & 1/2"
socket universals 3/8" & 1/2" & extensions
open/box end wrenches
pliers
lead/sledge hammer
impact gun, 1/2"
breaker bars
rags
wood blocks
floor jack, 2x is best
transmission cradle or homemade cradle
good lighting under the 80

PROCEDURE:

Drain the gear oil. I guess you could do this once it is out, but think it is easiest to just drain while still bolted in. Remove the front and rear drive shafts from the TC using a 14mm socket/wrench. If they don't compress enough, you may have to remove from diff as well.

There are six bolts that hold the TC to the transmission. #1-3 and #6 are easy to get at (these face and are accessed from the rear of the truck) and #4-5 (these face the front and are accessed from the front of the truck) are a little difficult but not bad.

001.jpg

Start at the front of the truck below the TC front output shaft. Disconnect the hi/lo/n shift linkage by pulling the cotter pin and disconnect the electrical connector from the front output shaft. Remove bolts #4-5 which are 17mm. #4 is easy with an extension and impact gun. #5 is a little difficult because the hook on the transmission makes access difficult and puts a large angle on the socket extension. If you have a swivel-socket this works the best. I used a 3/8" swivel socket w/extension and breaker bar and got it free pretty easily.

002.jpg

Move to the back of the truck and disconnect the ground wire, breather lines, speedo sensor cable and the two other position sensor electrical connectors and the diff lock motor electrical connector. If you can't reach all the connections, they can be disconnected once you lower the TC a little which provides better access. Just make sure the wiring harness has plenty of slack.

Remove bolts #1-3. These are very easy with an impact gun. I replaced #2-3 finger tight so the TC would not drop out unexpectedly once I got #6 free. To get at #6 you need to lower the transmission about 2-inches. To do this, remove the transmission protective guard and block the transmission oil pan with wood and support the transmission/TC with a floor jack. Once the transmission is supported, remove the transmission cross support from between the frame. Then lower the transmission/TC about 2-inches. In this position you can get at #6 easily. You can't see it, but will have plenty room to get a socket on it and remove the bolt. All six bolts are 17mm. At this point, the TC is ready to be pulled off, but first I lifted the transmission back up to level it out. The transmission cross member needs to stay removed to drop the TC so the front output shaft does not hit it when lowering. My pictures incorrectly show the cross-member in place, but I was not able to lower the TC without removing it.

003.jpg

Using your second floor jack and cradle, position it under the TC and strap it in tight with a tie-down, chain, etc. The TC is heavy, so don't try to support it with just a floor jack base. If it falls off the jack, you will either damage the TC or injure yourself. I did not have a "true" transmission jack, so I took a plate of steel, bolted it to my floor jack and welded a plate to the side to support the TC. I'm sure the same thing could be made out of wood as an alternate. This worked excellent as cradle to support and remove the TC and to move it to my shop once removed.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Last edited:
005.jpg

Once the jack/cradle are in place, tap the TC flange with a lead hammer to separate from the transmission. Once it separates a little, grab it and pull it off the transmission output shaft. This requires pulling the TC away from the transmission about 2 to 3-inches. Once off, remove any unconnected electrical connectors and lower the TC and slide from under the truck and enjoy your favorite cold beverage.

006.jpg

007.jpg

Reinstall in the reverse order. With the TC out, this is a good time to clean up your wiring harnesses. Mine were trashed and I replace the sheathing on everything I could reach. I also cleaned the underside of the truck so I can more easily spot future leaks.

TIME:

It took me about 2-1/2 hours to completely remove the TC. But, I had to figure it out as I went along and had to weld up my cradle which took a little time too. I think I could shave an hour off the time in the future, which is not bad overall. With a buddy helping, this would be a pretty quick job. A lot of time is wasted climbing in and out from under the truck and extra set of hands would be a huge help in time savings.

MISC:

I replaced the input and output shaft seals and the transmission output seal. The front was not leaking but I did it while I had it apart. There are several posts on the doing the rear output seal. The front seal is basically the same. The snap rings/c-clips are a major PITA. You will become and expert by the time you are done. Get yourself one or two pair of good snap ring/c-clip pliers, it can't be done without them. Also, the front cannot be done without a press, bearing splitter and bearing pullers. I had to pull the drive clutch hub, press the shaft off the bearing, and had to press the shaft back onto the bearing and press the drive clutch hub on as well. I also replaced the dust seals and found I could not tap them on with a hammer. So I used the press for this as well. None of this is difficult (except for the c-clips) you just need the right tools. Also, if you do the front output shaft, make sure that you lock the center diff before you remove the TC. This is necessary because it is difficult to fully seat the front output shaft in the clutch sleeve unless it is in the locked position.
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg

Last edited:
The Rear output shaft seal on my 93 started leaking at 238,999 miles. I would have liked to have done the front also but just did the rear. We found a loose screw had been chewing things up in their and caused the leak ultimately. We never found where that screw was supposed to go and it has been driving fine since. Nice write up.

The Rear output shaft seal on my 93 started leaking at 238,999 miles. I would have liked to have done the front also but just did the rear. We found a loose screw had been chewing things up in their and caused the leak ultimately. We never found where that screw was supposed to go and it has been driving fine since. Nice write up.

That's odd. I would be a little worried about a missing screw, but glad to hear you have had no problems since its discovery.

I think that generally the TC is pretty bomb-proof. Other than replacing the output seals there are few issues.

Where in the output shaft did you find the screw?

Man I could of used that cradle today almost had it come down on me. Scary using a regular jack. I need something like that. Did you make it?

Yeah, lucky that I just happened to have some scrap laying around that worked. I didn't even have to cut or drill the hole, just wleded one plate to the other, done!

That would be a little hairy pull it off using just a regular jack. You must be stronger than me :D

Thanks for the right up. I'll give it a shot in a few weeks since I'm doing maint on th TC and transmission and will add comments (if any) as appropriate.

awesome write-up really helped me take mine out. what angle was ur cradle welded at, got some spare wood at home might cut and screw together to do the same job putting it back it. cheers

Looks like this will work for the 3FE as well, however the muffler must be removed. Have any 3FE folks done this?

Reviving an old thread. This is one of the better write ups I could find on the forum. Have a set of Marlin Crawler gears to install and think I am going to pull the T case to do this. Was thinking about doing the Marlin way with the case still in the truck but noticed once I pulled my skid plates that the tcase/transmission seal is leaking a bit.

Think I will pick up a transmission jack / adapter to make this easier. Any requirement to be in hi or low, CDL locked etc?

Looks pretty straight forward. Any other while your in there maintenance suggested. Truck has 225,000 miles on it, or 350,000 km.

Pulled the tcase the other week. Picked up a tranny jack which made this job way easier. Couldnt imagine trying to pull that thing down easily by hand.

What are the torgue specs for the 6 bolts and did you use any rtv between the tcase and the tranny?

001.jpg
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm getting trans fluid between the tcase and transmission. Can anyone help me verify this is the right part number for this seal.

90311-48016

When I dropped my 100 years ago, I was told the TC is very light and no jack needed. After I had all the bolts removed I pulled it and it landed on my chest. Glad it wasn't any heavier or I would of been in trouble. So yes you DON'T need a jack to remove but be prepared to almost get crushed. Getting it back on? I bought a trans jack adapter for the floor jack.

View attachment 1234272 Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm getting trans fluid between the tcase and transmission. Can anyone help me verify this is the right part number for this seal.

90311-48016
Yes, this is the correct part number. I just put one in yesterday.

Hi mod5csi,

I have similar leak from my truck, mine is 2004 LC100, automatic transmission, 230000 kms done.

Did you fix the leak, if so did you just replace the part part number you mentioned in your query.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom