Removing T-Case -HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my bearing(s) are screaming like an eagle on the last wheeling trip and I figure it is in the t-case or the output end of the tranny because the pitch of the scream does not change when I change gears. It is the same whether in 2 or 4wd. I want to start with the t-case because I think that is the easiest piece to get to. Well I have the inspection covers off and the linkage and drive shafts off and the t-case won't slip off the end of the tranny output shaft without hitting the tranny tunnel. I have spent most of the evening pulling of the seats, gas tank, floor mats and a couple of stripped bolts in the tunnel cover and triumphantly go to slide the t-case that last inch off the output shaft and the freaking thing hits the floor at the end of the tunnel opening. How the hell do I get the t-case off my truck. 78 fj45 non-split case, 4 spd

Put a floor jack under the oil pan of the motor. Take loose the rear motor mounts from the bell housing. Lower motor/trans/t-case until the case clears the floor. Reverse process to install. Just be REAL careful around that motor/jack combo. Yer head isn't gonna like it if you drop the motor on it! You might loop a chain, come-along or heavy duty ratchet strap around both framerails and under the motor to catch the motor if things get outa hand.

HTH,
Nick Jennings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom