Removing rear wheel cone washer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I smack (smart taps) the edge of the flange with a 16 oz machinists hammer.  :G  The reason they want you to smack the studs on the front is because there isn't a nice flange in the center to pound on. Hitting it in the center spreads the force out. Remember, hit it, don't HIT IT............

BTW I did my rears yesterday. Don't ignore them, you may not like what you see if you do.................. :ugh:

>> ... you may not like what you see if you do <<

Or what you *don't* see... wheel bearing grease.

Medtro,
I don't hit the studs (front or rear.)  A brass hammer works well when struck against the side of the flange. Loosen the nuts but leave about 2 threads so the cone washers don't fly all over the garage.  "You could loose an eye doing that."  :G
-B-

I just pulled mine out a couple weeks ago and they popped right out after a couple hits on the out side of the flange.

>> ... you may not like what you see if you do <<

Or what you *don't* see... wheel bearing grease.

Medtro,
I don't hit the studs (front or rear.)  A brass hammer works well when struck against the side of the flange. Loosen the nuts but leave about 2 threads so the cone washers don't fly all over the garage.  "You could lose an eye doing that."  :G
-B-

I left the nuts on when I hit the studs so that I will have my both eyes to do the other wheels.

I opened both rear wheels yesterday, and I like everything I saw in there. Ok, I repacked them a few weeks ago, and they still look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom