Removing oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it took ten years, but my 22repreformance engine developed an oil pan leak. What's the best way of dropping the pan?

I have read about dropping the diff and steering stuff out of the way. I have also read about trucks with manual trans just being able to loosen the motor mounts and raising the engine up until the transmission hits the body to gain enough access.

Also, does either method allow enough room to get the pan under the pick up and not make a mess of the FIPG to get a good seal?

I’ve loosened the mounts and raised the engine before. Adds a little more room but not much... I might add that the pan started leaking later that month but we determined the pan was warped. It’s definitely a ton of work to drop the front diff but as gnob said, less cursing lol
I’ve found everyone ALWAYS over tightens the oil pan hardware. It’s something like 8ft pounds. Not much. When I worked at a cruiser shop years ago, we would use this red gel stuff made by loctite. Not the common red liquid loctite. This was used for gaskets and whatnot. We would put it on the threads to prevent thread seepage and keep the bolts tight.

I've done it both ways, and I found it MUCH easier to loosen the engine mounts and lift it up until it just starts hitting the firewall. Slip some 2x4 wedge scraps between the frame and engine mounts to hold it up so you can get the jack out of the way. Unbolt the pan, pop it off, then reach in and also unbolt the oil pickup tube. Pull them out together. Reverse to install.

Well, to close out this thread...I hate when they don't reach a logical conclusion.

I didn't have time this summer to tackle this project, so I had my trusty mechanic friend do it. He ended up loosening the motor mounts and raising the motor. He then was able to unscrew the oil sump and got it out. He said going back in was a bit frustrating, but he got it. Put the FIPG on the pan after the sump was on, he said he would have just made a mess trying to shoe horn it in with FIPG on.

I have around 60K on this engine, and in about 30k more miles it will be technically due for a timing chain. I will just pull the motor and go through it and reseal everything. I will see how things are doing and give a review then about the 22repreformance motors.

I figure 5 more cabin seasons and it will be ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom