Removing and reinstalling a fender - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My left front fender had a nice big dent in it from this winter (hit and run in my work's parking lot, go figure) and I was quoted a grand to have it and the dents in the driver's front door pulled and primed. These dents are over areas that'll be covered in bedliner soon enough anyway (ie: the dent repair doesn't have to be PERFECT), so I'm thinking rather than spend a grand on dent repair, I could spend it on actual rust repair for the lift gate, and instead just tap them out from the inside if I can remove the fender. The door won't be a problem, but also to that merit, I could then adjust the door hinges with the fender removed.

So for those who've removed their front fenders, is it a big ordeal or something that can be done in an afternoon?

Removal is fairly easy.the items in the engine bay must be removed first.Approx. 2 hours removal time at least for me. MIke

DIY job for sure. Just remember to keep checking for bolts holding it on, there are like 19 holding it on there. Hopefully they aren't rusted along the fender lip and core support...

DIY job for sure. Just remember to keep checking for bolts holding it on, there are like 19 holding it on there. Hopefully they aren't rusted along the fender lip and core support...

I don't think they are, but on the offchance I run into problems, I've got a can or Kroil standing by. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle it this coming weekend (dependent on if I get some other work done in my shop first).

The biggest challenge other than locating all the bolts is digging out all the seam sealer. Nearly every bolt is embedded in seam sealer, and the joint between the wheel well and the fender has seam sealer the entire length. There are two bolts at the very bottom of the fender just in front of the door, and three or four smaller bolts at the front behind the headlight door and valance. There are also 3 or 4 up under the wheel well that hold the inner fender wall to the wheel well that you will need to remove. Mine were buried in the goop they sprayed up under there. The first time I took the fender off, it took a couple of hours. The second time about 15 minutes.:)

The biggest challenge other than locating all the bolts is digging out all the seam sealer. Nearly every bolt is embedded in seam sealer, and the joint between the wheel well and the fender has seam sealer the entire length. There are two bolts at the very bottom of the fender just in front of the door, and three or four smaller bolts at the front behind the headlight door and valance. There are also 3 or 4 up under the wheel well that hold the inner fender wall to the wheel well that you will need to remove. Mine were buried in the goop they sprayed up under there. The first time I took the fender off, it took a couple of hours. The second time about 15 minutes.:)

Looks like I'll have to get some new seam sealer before tackling this.....

The two low bolts in front of the door are the most likely to rust. MIke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom