Removing 2nd row seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi- I'm new here as I just bought a gently used 2017 LC. I searched the forums and can't find an answer.
I've removed my 3rd row seats easily but I'm stumped about removing the 2nd row seats. I called a local dealer who said if I did remove the 2nd row seats the rest of the airbags would no longer function. ( The second row seats do have outboard airbags) I haven't found a work around . Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Whoever told you that is wrong.

Your airbags will work just fine in front with second row removed. You just have to either put up with the airbag warning light on your dash...or...do the resistor truck (likely in thatother thread) to make your computer think they are still there. But either way...fronts and sides, etc. will deploy just fine.

If you have trouble finding the resistor trick, let me know and I’ll send you a couple. 5 minute mod...

Last edited:
Whoever told you that is wrong.

Your airbags will work just fine in front with second row removed. You just have to either put up with the airbag warning light on your dash...or...do the resistor truck (likely in thatother thread) to make your computer think they are still there.

If you have trouble finding the resistor trick, let me know and I’ll send you a couple. 5 minute mod...

Thank you. I’ll see what parts I can get tomorrow. I appreciate the reply. It does make sense that the other airbags would deploy even if the 2 nd row is no longer sensed.

Just a heads up.. the 2/3 side is HEAVY. I’m not a small guy and while I -can- get it out myself, I now get help to avoid damaging the car or myself.

Bloc- thanks for the heads up about the weight of the 2/3 side.

Question -do you install and remove them on a regular basis ?

Only if you A. Want a hernia B. want mangled hands C. If you want to expand your command of profane verbage.
I found it easier to slide the heavier portion out the rear hatch. Wrestling it out the door begs for damage to something.

It’s a pain. I’ve swapped in or out maybe 5 times. And yes, it’s heavy...though that’s just another reason to take them out if you don’t need the seats...

Only if you A. Want a hernia B. want mangled hands C. If you want to expand your command of profane verbage.
I found it easier to slide the heavier portion out the rear hatch. Wrestling it out the door begs for damage to something.

Lol-I don't need any of those !! Did you have to disconnect your 2nd row side (in the seat bolster) airbags or does your LC not have those ?

I disconnected the yellow airbag connectors and put 2.2 ohm resister in each one. If you need 2 PM an address and I will send you a couple as when I bought mine I had to buy 10 pcs

RESISTOR.jpg

I disconnected the yellow airbag connectors and put 2.2 ohm resister in each one. If you need 2 PM an address and I will send you a couple as when I bought mine I had to buy 10 pcs

View attachment 1779147
Well that looks easier than the other hack posted. PM sent

Well I hope I sent a PM. I started a conversation as I didn't see a clear PM function but I'm new here as I said.

Last edited:
Well that looks easier than the other hack posted. PM sent

The other hack just makes it a little more secure. Not a big deal either way. I just jammed mine resistors in there in a hurry and taped over it...done.

They come out for any trip where I plan to sleep inside the cruiser.. 3 or 4 times per year. For the rest of the year they see more than enough use to stay in.

I remove the trim, tilt them forward which relieves the helper spring tension from the seat to the foot, then rock them over alternately to get a thick towel under each of the feet. This then gets draped out the door opening.. and is my method to keep the feet from scratching the floor through the holes in the carpet, or door jamb.

Also, you'll remove the forward trim first.. then to get the rear hinge trim out without breaking the tabs push on them toward the rear where they poke through the metal metal seat leg/foot. If you do break them they are removable and cheap.. but might as well not destroy them every time they get removed.

To remove the rubber bolt hole covers you find the slight depression in the hinge cover trim that slides under the rubber cover.. and pry lightly toward the rear of the vehicle while lifting. This should release the hook without tearing any of the rubber tabs.

Technically the seat is a manageable weight, but it's an awkward shape with nothing great to hold on to, which is what makes it so difficult to manage solo.

You girls need to hit the gym :p

Ya, ya...
Talk to me about your lower back in 20 years. :hillbilly: Heehee

Problem is that it’s hard to lift them without using your back at the worst possible angles that are bad for anyone’s back—even young study punks like TonyP (haha). :moon: But it does make a big difference once you see the weird spring-load tendencies.

They come out for any trip where I plan to sleep inside the cruiser.. 3 or 4 times per year. For the rest of the year they see more than enough use to stay in.

I remove the trim, tilt them forward which relieves the helper spring tension from the seat to the foot, then rock them over alternately to get a thick towel under each of the feet. This then gets draped out the door opening.. and is my method to keep the feet from scratching the floor through the holes in the carpet, or door jamb.

Also, you'll remove the forward trim first.. then to get the rear hinge trim out without breaking the tabs push on them toward the rear where they poke through the metal metal seat leg/foot. If you do break them they are removable and cheap.. but might as well not destroy them every time they get removed.

To remove the rubber bolt hole covers you find the slight depression in the hinge cover trim that slides under the rubber cover.. and pry lightly toward the rear of the vehicle while lifting. This should release the hook without tearing any of the rubber tabs.

Technically the seat is a manageable weight, but it's an awkward shape with nothing great to hold on to, which is what makes it so difficult to manage solo.

Thanks for the steps needed to actually unbolt and remove the seat. Won't make the seat any lighter though :) but I've got a better idea of the order of removal.
I should probably get my strong 26 y,o. son to stop by at seat removal time !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom