Remove Rear Door Glass!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 FZJ80
The bottom channel fell off the rear DS window. From the posts, I think I need to remove the glass from the door and pound the channel back onto the glass. Only way to do this is to remove the glass from the door BUT I cannot for the life of me figure out how. I've gone through the posts - which was helpful for resetting the channel to the glass but I cant find a clean post on the glass removal from the door.
With the channel off the window, I was hoping I can just pull it up and out, but the side channels keep the glass from being removed. Anyone have a hack on this? Thank you in advance- Dan

Almost the same as 80 series.

This video is a good reference. I removed the small triangular window first and that made the difference.

The glass is strong, don’t be shy about ponding the channel back onto it. The important piece is using a good rubber filler. Hopefully you have an OEM replacement (not sure if those are available). Use lots of soapy water to act as lubricant.

This video is a good reference. I removed the small triangular window first and that made the difference.

The glass is strong, don’t be shy about ponding the channel back onto it. The important piece is using a good rubber filler. Hopefully you have an OEM replacement (not sure if those are available). Use lots of soapy water to act as lubricant.
The same basic procedure for removing the small triangle mirror as in the video? The rubber is in good condition. I can tell its fallen off before by the condition of the channel. I was able to muscle the channel back on the window in the door by using the motor to assist. Not sure how long that fix will last. I think I should just follow the directions, pull the window and clean up/ lube the guides and try and do it right.
I've got someone coming to look and hopefully buy the truck so I'd like to have it working by then. (93 mint cond. 3x) if anyone is interested.

The same basic procedure for removing the small triangle mirror as in the video? The rubber is in good condition. I can tell its fallen off before by the condition of the channel. I was able to muscle the channel back on the window in the door by using the motor to assist. Not sure how long that fix will last. I think I should just follow the directions, pull the window and clean up/ lube the guides and try and do it right.
I've got someone coming to look and hopefully buy the truck so I'd like to have it working by then. (93 mint cond. 3x) if anyone is interested.
The same basic procedure the video showed is what I followed for my 80. The right rear channel had fallen and rendered the window inop. In my case, no matter what I did, nothing worked. I got a new rubber filler for the channel (where the glass sits), but it wasn't enough. Someone before me had manipulated the channel and widened it. I attempted to close the gap, but it was no use. It was never the same again. An experienced mechanic told me those channels are not meant to be removed from the window, and once it does, it's a bitch to make right again.
I hope yours works out fine. I ended up buying a new, used window assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom