Remove LX450 cladding?? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RockJock82

Sometimes you have to kick a little A$$
Threads
Well coincidently I ripped off one off one of my flares over the weekend. I have been going back and forth about removing them all and doing the bed liner option... On the fence.. I like the look but also know it's only a matter of time before another one comes off. Just need some input on whether to or not if anyone has done it before and has liked or not like it. I know there are threads on it but I'm curious on how it holds up (color) in the AZ temps. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

There are a bajillion little holes if you remove all the cladding, but work doesn't seem to deter you.
:popcorn:

There are a bajillion little holes if you remove all the cladding, but work doesn't seem to deter you. :popcorn:
yup aluminum tape and bed liner here I come lol.. Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I have to say that I am not a fan of pulling the cladding. Functionally it may be better, but cosmetically I think it leaves a lot to be desired. If you are seriously looking to sell that rig in-favor of the hundy... you may want to consider what the potential buyer would want... Just my $.02

I have to say that I am not a fan of pulling the cladding. Functionally it may be better, but cosmetically I think it leaves a lot to be desired. If you are seriously looking to sell that rig in-favor of the hundy... you may want to consider what the potential buyer would want... Just my $.02
valid point!

Well coincidentally I ripped off one off one of my flares over the weekend. I have been going back and forth about removing them all and doing the bed liner option... On the fence.. I like the look but also know it's only a matter of time before another one comes off. Just need some input on whether to or not if anyone has done it before and has liked or not like it. I know there are threads on it but I'm curious on how it holds up (color) in the AZ temps. Thanks!!

I have read there are somewhere around 110 holes to fill :eek: , doesn't sound fun to me.

I am getting ready to get my whole truck lined here, hopefully before the end of the month. I have a friend who is going to Rhino line it. I had heard numerous stories of not being able to line the cladding so I contacted Rhino directly. They say it will absolutely stick to the clear coat and may not stick to the bare plastic unless you completely encapsulate the panel. Depends on the chemical makeup of the plastic if it will stick or not. If it is on bare metal then it needs to be primed, cant remember which primer they suggest except for a very expensive "spot weld" primer.

In any case the lining will also strengthen the panels so I am going to give it a go.

Eww idk if I could do the whole truck... My plans were to line the places where the cladding is currently. Worst case I put everything back on and it's rust proofed lol

I have read there are somewhere around 110 holes to fill :eek: ,

162 counting the roof rack and roof ribs....

image-1572443330.jpg

image-2110836523.jpg

Couple of days worth of welding.

I'm an idiot, though. Knew I preferred a Poverty Pack appearance, but reason didn't enter the equation when the "perfect" LX came on the radar, 4 hours away, after many, many months of looking.

image-1572443330.jpg

image-2110836523.jpg

162 counting the roof rack and roof ribs.... Couple of days worth of welding. I'm an idiot, though. Knew I preferred a Poverty Pack appearance, but reason didn't enter the equation when the "perfect" LX came on the radar, 4 hours away, after many, many months of looking.
did you mig weld it? Big holes to fill without warping the metal I'd think

did you mig weld it? Big holes to fill without warping the metal I'd think Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

They're huge slots and holes, way too much to fill, so used body nails and MIG.

Wouldn't do it again, either. Prefer flareless, becoming less a fan of the previously planned liner, and paint deserves a better finished priduct that what I was capable of filling.

Should've swapped door skins or skinned the inner panel.

Soon as I rip off the first tupperware mine is getting lined:D

Just look how bad ass this thing is.....

But for resale who knows and yours has a good body:confused:

55.jpg

Soon as I rip off the first tupperware mine is getting lined:D Just look how bad ass this thing is..... But for resale who knows and yours has a good body:confused:
I may just keep her, the Lexus that is :D

162! OMG! Just shoot me now!

Going to do the snakeeater thing on mine, was hesitant at first but the more I think about not having to worry about pealing paint and pin striping, the more I like it. I think the tan will break it up nicely...

007.jpeg

IMHO the cladding dates the vehicle. cheap plastic. I'm considering deleting mine & going back with the regular stock Land Cruiser side trim which I think we'd all agree is handsome.

Users who are viewing this thread

• WSLX
Back
Top Bottom