Removable Barrier behind 1st row? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read several threads on barriers, but none had the info I was looking for. My wife and I often travel alone, and right now we're in the process of moving. Any recommendations for a removable barrier to use when the 2nd row is folded forward all the way? I've looked at a few but I'm worried about using too much pressure on the vertical supports considering I have a sunroof and rear air. I'm not super worried about the barrier shifting on the floor, as the floor would be jammed full of stuff. I'd like a little more insurance when I stack to the ceiling that items int back don't end up in the front.

I have a 1998 LX, rear air, sunroof, no side curtain airbags (of course)
I appreciate any and all input.

You'll spend more time and money looking for a solution than the odds of anything ending up in the front with you.
If you build a wall with boxes behind the front seats you'll be fine.
I don't know how far you're moving, if it's far, rent a larger trailer if you can.

That's a horse**** answer. You want a huge box flying in your lap when you get cut off on the interstate? I'm basically asking if anyone has any experience with the universal pet barriers.

Horse**** answer? There isn't enough room between the headrests and the ceiling for a big ass box to come through.

Universal pet barriers are crap. You'd be just as well off cutting a large pice of cardboard and wedging that in place. If it's a one time use for moving maybe cut a thin sheet of plywood to fit?

A Raingler net could work. I'd buy that before a universal pet barrier.

I've played with designing a barrier like you describe but only get but maybe one request a year. Not much demand for the R&D time. Plus a shipping nightmare for a finished product.

Ive thought of this too, we carry audio equipment and I know I've already had some it come flying forward during emergency braking. I'd be interested to see what you design/use to hold your cargo back where it's supposed to be. A good solid nylon webbing net might just be the ticket.

I'm in the middle of moving from central Illinois to Milwaukee and while we had movers move the majority of our stuff, we personally moved some important family stuff, plus I have to go back every week for cleaning and yard maintenance until the house sells so I'm still bringing a load back every week. We had a stereo receiver (thankfully in the box) come through and my wife put her foot down that I can't stack above the height of the seat until I come up with something.

Why am I defending myself..................

When someone questions the odds of something ending up in front with me, and it's already happened, then yes I get irritated. The space between the headrests is 24.5" and the height above the seats is 16". When you move (maybe I'm the only person that's ever moved), you put the heaviest boxes on the bottom and you fill in on top. Start filling the back of your cruiser with boxes and tell me if you end up with a gap that a decent size box could still come through????

So, I guess I'm a bad person and I'll have to live with that. I don't usually flame posts, but I stand by that one. I apologize if I come off too strong.

Why am I defending myself..................

When someone questions the odds of something ending up in front with me, and it's already happened, then yes I get irritated. The space between the headrests is 24.5" and the height above the seats is 16". When you move (maybe I'm the only person that's ever moved), you put the heaviest boxes on the bottom and you fill in on top. Start filling the back of your cruiser with boxes and tell me if you end up with a gap that a decent size box could still come through????

So, I guess I'm a bad person and I'll have to live with that. I don't usually flame posts, but I stand by that one. I apologize if I come off too strong.

I just moved last fall, had my truck so full I not only couldn't see out the passenger window I had to put the left over pizza on my lap.
I only moved across town, but the last trip was the last trip and it was 5:30 in the morning.
Anyway...if you load it correctly, boxes will not be able to come through. Yes heavy boxes on the bottom, but there can also be large boxes on top that are light. Filling that space with blankets and pillows would be a perfect spot for those things.
Stand the receiver box on end for example and now it's to big to fit through the gap.
Have you ever bailed and stacked hay? Played Tetris? You load your truck the same way.

So this is about my inability to stack boxes and not my perceived need for a barrier. It seems I'm not the only one trying to find an answer to this, but that's ok.

imo a pet barrier may stop the cargo from hitting you when you brake suddenly. But don't think it will be able to stop the cargo when you are in accidents. I think something like this would be better. Not much more money than the pet barrier.

Bednet Interior Bulkhead Net for SUVs - CargoGear

There are several companies that make similar products, so do your research.

So this is about my inability to stack boxes and not my perceived need for a barrier.

It appears that way.

I had originally tried to offer some food for thought throwing spaghetti at the wall kinda thing, but your original reply was you being an @ss. So yeah, you can't stack boxes.

When I worked for Chevron it was mandatory that all items in the back seat, etc.. be secured at all times. Ever see what a box of Kleenex will do to a human head when slamming on the brakes at 70mph... ONE HELL OF A PAPER CUT!

We used the BEDNET brand and they worked great and easy to install and remove. Install to the top grab handles and then to the front seat floor mounts.

https://www.adrianssafetysolutions.com/passenger-vehicle-cargo-safety/

bednet-suv-and-crossover-bulkhead-576x700.jpg

Make a cardboard template, then cut a piece of plywood to fit. Duct tape the edges to make it interior friendly. Use your mirrors wisely (you'd have to do that anyway with everything full to the top in back). Wedge the plywood in with your heaviest items at it's bottom. Throw it in the dumpster when you are done moving. Easy, cheap, and not permanent solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom