Regearing...anything else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon,

I am planning on having my Land Cruiser reageared (4.88) and rear locker next month. With all the accessories I have added has caused it to run really slow on hills and increased coolant temp. Are there any other things I should do while we are in there? I think I have about 8k left on my lower control arms so considering changing that out too.
IMG_0049.JPG

Is your cooling system running properly? Is your radiator clear of any grass/debris? When I regeared my transmission temperatures went down on certain uphill drives, the kind of uphill that's not enough for the transmission to downshift. My coolant temperature didn't change at at that i've noticed. Not sure of the labor rates in your area or your mechanical skill, lower control arms can be replaced later quite easily.

Diff bushings and front axles.
Def do the diff bushings, again, if your paying high labor rates, buy the 2 arms (you don't need to replace the metal pucks) and buy the whole front diff cover with the new bushing already in it, no extra charge for the install (since they are removing those during the install) , if you have the shop press out the bushings, you'll probably spend more that way on the bushings only and their labor to replace the bushing. You might as well change replace the drive flanges, if your axles are okay, you can leave them. If your axles are aftermarket, now will be the best time to replace them with new OEM.

Is your cooling system running properly? Is your radiator clear of any grass/debris? When I regeared my transmission temperatures went down on certain uphill drives, the kind of uphill that's not enough for the transmission to downshift. My coolant temperature didn't change at at that i've noticed. Not sure of the labor rates in your area or your mechanical skill, lower control arms can be replaced later quite easily.
I live in Arizona and I typically see the higher coolant temps in the middle of summer while climbing altitude. From what I can see, coolant temp is fine outside the above conditions. I figured the lower control arms might as well be pulled out since they will be taking the diff off for the reagear.

Def do the diff bushings, again, if your paying high labor rates, buy the whole front diff cover with the new bushing already in it, no extra charge for the install, if you have the shop replace the bushings, you'll probably spend more that way on the bushings only and their labor to replace the bushing. You might as well change replace the drive flanges, if your axles are okay, you can leave them. If your axles are aftermarket, now will be the best time to replace them with new OEM.
Yup diff bushing already done and CV axles were recently replaced with OEM

I live in Arizona and I typically see the higher coolant temps in the middle of summer while climbing altitude. From what I can see, coolant temp is fine outside the above conditions. I figured the lower control arms might as well be pulled out since they will be taking the diff off for the reagear.
I don't think the rear lower control arms come off during a regear, I remember seeing a bunch of bolts by my front diff paint marked by the shop, but I don't remember seeing any paint marks on the rear lower control arm bolts.

I don't think the rear lower control arms come off during a regear, I remember seeing a bunch of bolts by my front diff paint marked by the shop, but I don't remember seeing any paint marks on the rear lower control arm bolts.

This is right—it's a third member. Pull axle shafts out, then pop out the differential as an assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom