Refinished hubcap photos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've refinished 2 of 4 hubcaps.
I thought I'd post some photos.

I used:

DupliColor #88-00511 Platinum
DupliColor #88-00941 Black
DupliColor #DAP 1692 Gray Hot Rod Primer
DupliColor #T125 Clear Top Coat
DupliColor #CP199 Adhesion Promoter
Model Master #l790 Chrome Silver

Mine had been repainted black when I bought the truck:

Old%20hubcap.jpg

1. I sanded and cleaned the caps with TSP.
2. Applied 2 coats of Adhesion Promoter.
3. Applied 5 light coats of Primer.
4. Sanded with 400 grit.
5. Cleaned with TSP.
6. Applied 5 light coats of Platinum.
7. Masked the center portion.
8. Applied 5 light coats of Black
9. Painted the logo with Chrome Silver
10. Cleaned with TSP.
11. Applied 5 light coats of Clear Coat
12. Voila:

New%20hubcap.jpg

The primer and paint are all enamel.
The clear coat is acrylic, but it's OK to use it ON TOP of enamel.

Hayes

Last edited:
Wow, they look like new. You obviously didn't cut any corners and it shows. I repainted mine also, but i just sanded them, cleaned them and painted two coats of silver.

looks great! excuse my ignorance but what is TSP?

slick621 said:
looks great! excuse my ignorance but what is TSP?

Tri-sodium-phosphate. Heavy duty cleaner you can purchase in powder form to mix to desired strengh at any Home Despot or similar hardware store.

TSP: Tri Sodium Phosphate. It's a cleaner often found in the paint section of your local hardware store or where they keep power washing supplies. It is mostly used for cleaning off grease and gloss off old paint when you want new paint to stick. It gets off tobacco yellow on walls in renovations. It is also used to clean decks. The only downside is the phospate part which can harm plants and septic systems. There is a non phosphate TSP (I know that doesn't make sense, but that's the way it's sold.) and it works just as well.

I've also had luck with some commercial dewaxers made for cleaning fingerprints off of car bodies before you paint them.

Wear gloves. It is irritating to some people, AND if you don't you will just put your oils right back on the piece you are cleaning.

sweet, im going to try this, thanks guys

that is one good job!

Hayes,

Great job, that is one of the first things I have to do to mine.

Grouseman

Nice work.

Am I the only one who likes the look better without hubcaps? Something about seeing those full floater hubs makes me smile.

Am I the only one who likes the look better without hubcaps? Something about seeing those full floater hubs makes me smile.

I prefer capless also!

best I have seen!! great job :beer:

Great Job!

My 94 needed the silver on the edges, but the black centers were still pristine...

I used the formula prescribed on other threads.
Your silver Toy symbol has me re-thinking the whole de-bling to do list, though.

Thanks for adding something else to the list! :flipoff2:

Nice job, thanks for the info. I know my silver is due for a painting, but the black section still is intact. Also just noticing the lug nuts.. Have you replaced some with aftermarket chrome ones, or how did you get the stock ones so shiney?

Looks VERY good man! Good work!

I really like the silver emblem in the middle!

When i put the FZJ80 wheels on my 60, the centercaps were SHOT so i bit the bullet and paid $200+ for all new ones from Marv @ Specter

Of course, 2 days later, my friend shows me a guy on ebay that sells them very cheap and brand new!

They come in either color and are about $80 for all 4

I dont know the guy and never did business with him, but he got + feedback

some links

Black Ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10428&item=4556759649&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Silver Ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10428&item=4556759651&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

my full and semi floaters are naked.

Can you give me your total cost (materials and time) to do this project? Wondering if I should buy new.

Thanks for the compliments.
I think they look nice too.

I couldn't bring myself to repaint the logo gold. There is no gold trim anywhere on my truck, why would I paint the hub logo gold?
Silver matches the rest of the trim.

Lug nuts are the ones that were on the truck when I bought it a couple years ago. a couple do look like aftermarked chromed ones. Not sure. Haven't looked closely at them.
Good point, though. Might have to get all shiny chrome ones to match my fancy hubcaps now.

The naked hubs look nice too. I guess I wanted some bling.

Cost?

I don't have the receipts in front of me, but figure a few bucks for each small 5 oz. can of paint (Platinum, Black), and a few more bucks for the full size 12 oz. cans (Adhesion Promoter, Primer, Clear Coat), a couple bucks for the model paint, more dollars for the little brush, sandpaper, and TSP. I probably spent $30 or $40, plus several hours if time.

You could probably skip the Adhesion Promoter, TSP, and scrounge sandpaper from around the house.

We'll see how they hold up.
I'm hoping the extra time and thick clear coats and paint will pay off.

Hayes

I have 4 chromed lug nuts on my LX. :D They're OEM. I got the chrome ones from the Lexus dealership after I removed my wheel locks (hate those darned things). They gave me a very nice discount because they couldn't find black ones and were concerned that I would be irritated with mismatched black and chromed lug nuts :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom