Builds "Rednexus" - 2007 GX470 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it running and driving yesterday afternoon, after a wet-vac clean of the carpets and seatbelts. It did throw an airbag code, so I bought a OBDII tool to read those codes (fretting that it was the PS bag under the dash), but luckily found that it's probably the clockspring which had popped apart when I pulled off the steering wheel. Still waiting on the new clockspring, locker switches, new center vent trim pieces (old ones broke even more), and new new shift boots (old ones aren't worthy of the refreshed interior), so I'll drive it as-is next week and probably finish it over the next few weekends. The recovered seats (with seatjackers) and wheel both feel amazing, and the cleaned interior trim looks mostly new. The carpet is better but not great, I didn't replace it as it's mostly covered with the Weathertechs.

Overall this has been a slog of a job - I vastly under-estimated the time required to complete the electrical side of it (even if nothing was really that hard) and time to get everything integrated under a very packed OEM dash, center console, and engine bay. The actual dash/seats and even the HVAC servos were not really that bad. The weather has been crappy so I didn't miss a whole lot outside, but I'll be ready to concentrate on other hobbies for the next few months.

Last edited:
Finished putting most of it back together today. Installed a new clockspring from Clockspring Experts, which fixed the airbag light ($85 and arrived in 3 days over the holidays). Also replaced all of the LED lights in the various OEM switches, which were mostly burned out. I used cheapie Amazon 3mm LED lights, which were pretty easy to replace with some micro-pliers and snippers.
20240106_160731.jpg

I did run into a few snags - one of the ARB-style locker switches had a burned out LED, so I'm waiting on a replacement prior to putting the rest of the console back together. I need to chase down some more gremlins in the heated mirror switch (thinking the timer inside the switch is bad) and the SpeedoHealer (it ain't correcting - but the speedometer is working - either it's a dud or I spliced into the wrong wires). I'm also painting a replacement set of the center vent trim pieces to match the console since my OEM pieces lost a few more clips when I pulled them out.

Overall it feels and drives great! New seats are super-comfy, and so is the steering wheel. It also looks and feels vastly newer/cleaner inside, especially after deep-cleaning all of the plastic and the disgusting seat belts. The "DISABLE ATRAC/VSC" button works perfectly too - It's not hard to make one of these with a 5-pin relay, and it should kill all of the electronic nannies. Only one OEM wire (the one leading to the brake fluid reservoir) is spliced and routed into the relay, where it maintains continuity when the relay is deactivated. When power goes to the relay, the connection is broken, tricking the ABS computer into thinking the GX is out of brake fluid. This turns every dash light on and kills ATRAC/ABS, though I haven't yet verified that VSC (which limits throttle) is disabled. It'll take some donuts in the snow to do that :). I made a similar button on my old 2000 Subaru Forester over a decade ago to kill the ABS for snow driving.
20240106_160736.jpg

Also a shot of the 2nd row power port. Next weekend should be finishing up the console, installing new seat belts, and hopefully getting the SpeedoHealer and heated mirror gremlins fixed.

Last edited:
Edit/update - did a quick check of the FSM for the instrument cluster wiring and I read it backwards :facepalm:. What I thought was C11-Pin 15 (skid control ECU - speedo input) was actually C10-Pin 5 (tire pressure warning switch) so I spliced into the wrong wire. No wonder the speedometer is working but the SpeedoHealer is doing nothing!

The FSM system diagram (see below) is looking at the back of the instrument cluster, not the connectors staring you in the face when it's removed. So it's a mirror image. Should be an easy fix tomorrow.
Capture.PNG

i used the posi locks to splice into wires. space is very tight back there as you probably already know. I mounted my "speedohealer" to the firewall using some 3M VHB tape. I've started using that stuff for everything.

i used the posi locks to splice into wires. space is very tight back there as you probably already know. I mounted my "speedohealer" to the firewall using some 3M VHB tape. I've started using that stuff for everything.
I typically use heat shrink connectors but that might be hard with the dash on. Ended up putting SpeedoHealer the in the cubby where the DVD used to go, but its getting pretty full now! I'll get some posi locks if the heat shrinks aren't workable.
20240106_180208.jpg

^SpeedoHealer, GMRS, WAT lockup switch controller, and a relocated CANBUS gateway.
20240106_180249.jpg

^Hardmounted GMRS external speaker. Required relocating the CANBUS gateway and notching the new dash plastic behind the console.

Last edited:
I typically use heat shrink connectors but that might be hard with the dash on. Ended up putting SpeedoHealer the in the cubby where the DVD used to go, but its getting pretty full now! I'll get some posi locks if the heat shrinks aren't workable.
View attachment 3526654
^SpeedoHealer, GMRS, WAT lockup switch controller, and a relocated CANBUS gateway.
View attachment 3526657
^Hardmounted GMRS external speaker. Required relocating the CANBUS gateway and notching the new dash plastic behind the console.
Did you make that box where the CD player used to go?

Did you make that box where the CD player used to go?
Yes, right after I bought the rig. However you can now buy 3D printed ones on Etsy for around $70.

Working on the new eBay shift boots. They are cut/sewn perfectly but require some work to mount. The OEM boots are stapled to a plastic ring with super-short (like 1/8 inch) staples, which are very hard to come by. So I'm super-gluing the new boot to the old ring.
20240108_190424.jpg

The TC boot had some jute padding on the inside, which the new boot did not include (old on right). So I bought a yard, cut some new pieces, and attached with spray adhesive.
20240108_190501.jpg

The e-brake boot is going to require some sewing to attach to the metal wire ring/form around the bottom.

Wow! You’re going all out on this interior refresh, it’s going to be like driving a new vehicle again. Awesome job!
Thanks! It's definitely snowballed :). Should be totally done this weekend.

Working on the new eBay shift boots. They are cut/sewn perfectly but require some work to mount. The OEM boots are stapled to a plastic ring with super-short (like 1/8 inch) staples, which are very hard to come by. So I'm super-gluing the new boot to the old ring.
View attachment 3528401
The TC boot had some jute padding on the inside, which the new boot did not include (old on right). So I bought a yard, cut some new pieces, and attached with spray adhesive.
View attachment 3528403
The e-brake boot is going to require some sewing to attach to the metal wire ring/form around the bottom.
What glue are you using? I really wanna replace the boot on my 460.

Loctite to the rescue.
20240108_195659.jpg

Here is the eBay seller I got the boots from:

You should do it :). Not a hard job so far and pretty cheap.

Let me know how the armrest covers turn out. I thought about opening that can of worms but left it along when Mrs. Rednexus indicated I was going to far :). If it's easy I'll also replace at least my DS cover which is getting kind of worn. They did not give me a deal when I ordered the 3 boots but I should have asked!

Unfortunately, they only make covers for the front armrests.. They are not sure when they will do the rears.
They said they could offer 5% off if I purchased all said items, nothing huge but everything adds up in the end. Not sure ill pull the trigger quite yet.

You might be able to get a local upholstery shop to sew you some covers and boots from matching fabric as well. These looks pretty simple, a upholstery person could probably knock out everything easily enough in black vinyl or leather (OEM boots and arm rests are 100% vinyl and not leather).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom