Redarc Tow Pro Elite quick install (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there’s plenty of threads that have posted about the RedArc Tow Pro Elite install. I just want to add my two cents yhat theres an easy way to access that left-knee Button Cluster.

Found out by accident that there is no need to remove the whole knee panel which also holds the knee airbag loke what they mostly show on youtube.

All you have to do is pop out one of those blank off button plates, insert your finger and pull and the whole thing comes off easily.

Behind that button cluster panel of course is the factory plug-in connector is located. At least it is for this 2020 LC.

I also just mounted the main Redarc unit on that left-hand kick panel. Just my personal preference preventing spurious emission from other components.

95D90272-B523-4E63-BE7B-1BC6DD22253C.jpeg

on this MY 2020, if you remove one of the upper left two blank off plates, and just insert your finger inside, and lightly tug out , that whole panel will come off. No need to remove the whole buttome knee panel that holds the knee airbags.
7252D9B4-E23C-4800-96C8-C9FC3DA13241.jpeg

This picture surely looks like the unit is gonna get kicked, but its really well up and tucked to the left in there when oure in sitting/driving position.
F8714E9F-CC4F-4182-8DFF-4C7E456BEDE7.jpeg

7E19B0B1-B9B6-46BC-B537-0DBE9E02E415.jpeg

This picture is looking inside/behind that left knee switch cluster plate removed. Arrow pointing to the factory receptacle for the trailer brake. It is taped upon a wire bundle and has a cover insert. Able to work everything just thru this hole and from underneath the dash(Did not need to remove the whole knee panel that holds the knee air bag).

Last edited:
It takes 5 minutes or less to remove the panel for a truly hidden install: 4 bolts/screws. I'm not sure what the benefit of this version is other than a few minutes of time.

I installed the switch blank but I haven't finished wiring it in and mounting the unit. I need to do this asap so thanks for the motivation.

Took me no longer than 20 minutes. Great product and truly plug and play. Worked flawlessly on a heavy trailer last week.

It takes 5 minutes or less to remove the panel for a truly hidden install: 4 bolts/screws. I'm not sure what the benefit of this version is other than a few minutes of time.
I looked at that inside hidden area under the steering column, Its just my preference not to hung it in there close to other electronic boxes. Just my experience in working on avionics equipment for 30 years and avoiding spurious emission /interference.

I installed the switch blank but I haven't finished wiring it in and mounting the unit. I need to do this asap so thanks for the motivation.
Im sure it would be a breeze for you. I soldered the wiring and heat shrunk them. There was plenty of wire lenght from both the RedArc and Toyota harnesses, so I cut/shortened the toyota wire harness as it has the thinner wire gauge.

Im sure it would be a breeze for you. I soldered the wiring and heat shrunk them. There was plenty of wire lenght from both the RedArc and Toyota harnesses, so I cut/shortened the toyota wire harness as it has the thinner wire gauge.

I need to find the pic that showed which RedArc wires connected the factory harness so I can solder it up.

I need to find the pic that showed which RedArc wires connected the factory harness so I can solder it up.
Heres a pix, verified correct for Toyotas. I used this one. You just have to zoom in to see better. The only wire from the Toyota harness thats not used is that small green with dotted silver color.

A42BB3E1-628C-4777-B74B-03F9474CC750.jpeg

Just a quick question on the wiring harness. Redarc suggested that I use a TPH-021 for a plug and play connection to my 2016 LC. On that harness there is a diode on the Red break light wire which prevents the break lights from activating when the manual over-ride button on the controller is activated. This apparently is a requirement in California. If I don't want this behavior, just cut out the diode. I've read that in some situations (not completely clear to me) this diode configuration either can of won't caused fault codes. Does anyone have experience with this? If I'm cutting cables then the installation isn't plug and play.

JZTowSM.jpg

9XzTZMy.jpg

This is what I’m looking at behind the knee panel. 2015 LC. It’s not obvious to me where the factory receptacle is. Am I completely dense?

A820C767-35CA-45B6-B456-FD04D5D8D947.jpeg

Took me no longer than 20 minutes. Great product and truly plug and play. Worked flawlessly on a heavy trailer last week.

Hey bud, do you mean 20 minutes on '16+? Im mid install and trying to figure out how to avoid working around airbag and knee apron.
Our coin holder looks to be integrated with the trim?

Any help is appreciated, if you are around...

Hey bud, do you mean 20 minutes on '16+? Im mid install and trying to figure out how to avoid working around airbag and knee apron.
Our coin holder looks to be integrated with the trim?

Any help is appreciated, if you are around...
Might be the holding power of 15! claws that has you concerned?

Attachments

• INTERIOR PANELS _ TRIM_ INSTRUMENT PANEL SAFETY PAD_ REMOVAL; 2016 - 2021 MY LX570 [09_2015 - ...pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
I emailed with REDARC and confirmed that the TPH-021 is the correct cable for my 2018 and just got it delivered.
The packaging is a bit odd in that is says 4RUNNER year 14-19.
20230729_112224-6inx96dpi.jpg

20230729_112239csx96dpi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom