Redarc 1225 Challenge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
i've got a main lead acid battery and a secondary Yellow top hooked up going through the Redarc BCDC Charger.
The only wires I have connected from the Redarc are: Red to Main and Brown to 2nd.

In the manual it mentions that the low voltage cut off for the main battery is 12.7 Volt if its set up this way.
However it seems to push power when the car is off to the 2nd battery all the way down to 11.9V...
When I'm drawing power from my 2nd battery during the night, the main battery is constantly maintaining the 2nd this way.

Is the bleu wire supposed to be hooked up to + power? Or what am I missing. I'd like the Redarc to keep the main battery nice and full around 12.7V.

Thanks for you input.

2nd battery.jpg

Did you ground it? You say you only have red and brown connected so I have to ask. Blue should be connected to an ignition source. That is likely where the problem is. I will attach the wiring diagram from their website and I also checked the FAQ and they address the internal battery isolator needing to be able to read if the ignition is on. I’m betting one of those two issues are causing your problem.

B02920DB-3A8F-4629-B212-5074BEFDA3A1.png

9C354629-674D-44E8-B767-2187F6865FAE.jpeg

Did you ground it? You say you only have red and brown connected so I have to ask. Blue should be connected to an ignition source. That is likely where the problem is. I will attach the wiring diagram from their website and I also checked the FAQ and they address the internal battery isolator needing to be able to read if the ignition is on. I’m betting one of those two issues are causing your problem.

View attachment 2106160

View attachment 2106161

The blue wire only needs to be connected if the vehicle has a variable voltage alternator. If the vehicle has a fixed voltage or temperature compensating alternator the blue wire is left unconnected. The Redarc web site has a calculator that will tell you what type of alternator you have. I have a 2019 LC200 which has a temperature compensating alternator so I left the wire unconnected. This information is on page 9 in section 2.3 of the instruction manual.

Redarc Dual Battery Selector

Thanks guys,
Yes, I did ground it to the inside of the fender. And everything works fine outside of the low V cut off on the main battery.
This is on a 2000 LandCruiser which also shows as a temperature compensating alternator.

I'm following this manual that I got with the Redarc:

Like Rob mentioned it says to not connect the blue wire. However the low V cutout seems to be 12V or so on my set up.

What is the cut off on your set up Rob?

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.47.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.47.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.47.24 AM.png

Thanks guys,
Yes, I did ground it to the inside of the fender. And everything works fine outside of the low V cut off on the main battery.
This is on a 2000 LandCruiser which also shows as a temperature compensating alternator.

I'm following this manual that I got with the Redarc:

Like Rob mentioned it says to not connect the blue wire. However the low V cutout seems to be 12V or so on my set up.

What is the cut off on your set up Rob?

View attachment 2106472
View attachment 2106478

View attachment 2106473

I am using charge profile A. When the truck is running the profile A LED is on solid and when the truck is turned off the LED for profile A is flashing, indicating that the BCDC is in standby mode. Mine is working as I was expecting it to.

Ok thanks.
And the redarc stops charging your 2nd battery when the main battery reaches 12.7V?
Profile A is also the profile that lights up for me, but will still float or absorb charge when the car is off. Let's say my fridge comes on when I'm parked in the garage and the 2nd battery will then still receive power from the main battery.
I'm curious if that's how it is designed to work.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.30.07 AM.png

I just went out and did a test to see what mine is doing and when. When the engine is running the profile A LED will be on solid, the vehicle LED will be on solid. The Stage LED will be on solid when the engine first starts indicating Boost mode. After a short time it will then indicate Absorption mode (14.6V) and then after another short time it will go to Float mode(13.3V). When I turn off the engine the profile A LED, Vehicle LED will stay solid and the Stage LED will continue to show Float mode. When the main battery drops below 12.7V the BCDC will then only show the Profile A LED flashing indicating that the unit is in standby mode.

Here is what mine looks like.
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg

Great looking set up and thanks for taking the time.
Your blue wire is neither grounded or going to a + correct?
I'll give Redarc a call, mine should also cut off at 12.7. Thanks again.

I cut the orange and blue wires slightly different lengths and then put some heat shrink over the end to hold them together and out of the way. I also put some heat shrink on the end of the yellow wire. The last thing I need to do on mine is install the momentary switch in the cab so I can use the SBI12 to connect the two batteries if I need to jump start the main. The switch I got has an LED on it so I am also going to run the green wire to it so I can see when the BCDC is active.

I just found the issue... The way that I wrapped the green and blue wire, they were actually making a connection.
As soon as I separated them, the Redarc went into standby mode.

Good idea on running that momentary switch, that's the set up I have in my 62.
Thanks!

Great, I am glad you found the problem. I hope I don't need it, but I figured for a little more than another $120 I might as well put the SBI12 in there just in case.

IMG_0869.jpg

The blue wire only needs to be connected if the vehicle has a variable voltage alternator. If the vehicle has a fixed voltage or temperature compensating alternator the blue wire is left unconnected. The Redarc web site has a calculator that will tell you what type of alternator you have. I have a 2019 LC200 which has a temperature compensating alternator so I left the wire unconnected. This information is on page 9 in section 2.3 of the instruction manual.

Redarc Dual Battery Selector
How did you determine that a 2019 has a temperature compensating alternator and not a variable voltage? The Redarc calculator only goes to 2017.

How did you determine that a 2019 has a temperature compensating alternator and not a variable voltage? The Redarc calculator only goes to 2017.

Answering my own question with an “official” response from Redarc:

Hello Bob.
Thank you for the enquiry.
Your vehicle has a temperature compensating alternator, sort of halfway between a smart and fixed voltage alternator. Fortunately, the temp comp alternators in Toyota’s do not drop below the turn on voltage of a BCDC (13.2v). So to cut a long story short, you do NOT need to wire the BLUE wire to ignition. You can leave this wire disconnected and tapped back.

I hope this helps Bob.

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either by reply email or call our technical support line between 6am-5pm Australian Central Standard Time on the applicable local call number below:

+1 (704) 247-5150 USA

Best regards,

Todd Simpson
Customer Service Technician
REDARC Electronics

Answering my own question with an “official” response from Redarc:

Hello Bob.
Thank you for the enquiry.
Your vehicle has a temperature compensating alternator, sort of halfway between a smart and fixed voltage alternator. Fortunately, the temp comp alternators in Toyota’s do not drop below the turn on voltage of a BCDC (13.2v). So to cut a long story short, you do NOT need to wire the BLUE wire to ignition. You can leave this wire disconnected and tapped back.

I hope this helps Bob.

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either by reply email or call our technical support line between 6am-5pm Australian Central Standard Time on the applicable local call number below:

+1 (704) 247-5150 USA

Best regards,

Todd Simpson
Customer Service Technician
REDARC Electronics

thanks for the info from Redarc. I had looked to see if the 2019 had the same part number for the alternator as the 2017, so I went from there. My battery Voltage monitor has the alternator voltage ranging between 13.8 V and 14 V, depending on weather I have the heated seats on and the heated steering wheel on and what not. I think it is closer to a fixed voltage than a TC alternator from my observations. The BCDC will start out at about 14.3 and then drop to 13.2, after it reads that the Aux battery is at full charge.

thanks for the info from Redarc. I had looked to see if the 2019 had the same part number for the alternator as the 2017, so I went from there. My battery Voltage monitor has the alternator voltage ranging between 13.8 V and 14 V, depending on weather I have the heated seats on and the heated steering wheel on and what not. I think it is closer to a fixed voltage than a TC alternator from my observations. The BCDC will start out at about 14.3 and then drop to 13.2, after it reads that the Aux battery is at full charge.

Good thinking on the alternator part number...that didn’t even cross my mind.

Good thinking on the alternator part number...that didn’t even cross my mind.
I think it is great that you got definitive answer from Redarc. Where about in Tampa are you? We have some kids that live down in Riverview, was just down there for Christmas.

I think it is great that you got definitive answer from Redarc. Where about in Tampa are you? We have some kids that live down in Riverview, was just down there for Christmas.
I'm up in Odessa (north end of Hillsborough County), about an hour from Riverview.

Installed a BCDC 1225 in my trailer last weekend and will be doing the car side this week, 2017 LX570. I initially ASSUMED i had a variable alternator and reading this post now realize that I more than likely have a temperature sensing alt. It would be nice to be able to return the relay. I can't find the alternator type reference info on Redarc. A little direction? BTW, just moved from Tampa up to the Panhandle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom