Recommended radios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
Threads
In an effort to not be 'that guy' again on the next run, what radios does the club recommend?
I have a CB in the truck, but it didn't look like that's what was being used on the last run. It's not yet operational anyway, so what should I get in the meantime?
I saw many different kinds and the one I borrowed worked briefly then stopped, so I don't want to go that route. (Baofeng)
Thanks in advance!

I like the Baofeng radio. But I think the reason it "stopped" is that the group wanted me to use one of their radios, so I forgot about the Baofeng. Sorry I didn't relay that to you well enough on the trail.

That radio requires a HAM radio license in order to transmit.

I recommend to connect/install your CB radio; not everyone has one in their rig, but most times (not all, obviously) there are several of us with them that we can cross-talk what's being said on VHF/UHF radio net.

Or, get a pair of inexpensive GMRS/FRS radios. For what we do (day trip trail rides, mostly) this might be the most reasonable/cost-effective, and time-saving solution.

The February trip with 7-8 rigs and GMRS/FRS radios worked pretty well, too. I brought four, Josh brought a couple, and Jamison brought a couple.

Here are the Craftsman radios that I have: Item #976024 Model #CMXZRAZF333 (Lowe's has these for $49 pair)

This topic of radios and FCC technician licensing has been around for a decade. When I moved to COS and joined the club, the advice was to get licensed, which I did within a year. Life would be really simple if everyone was licensed and had a dual band radio; but if the club "required" it, well, we'd be a REALLY small club! LOL

I like the Baofeng radio. But I think the reason it "stopped" is that the group wanted me to use one of their radios, so I forgot about the Baofeng. Sorry I didn't relay that to you well enough on the trail.
Ahh. I see. I can understand your not wanting to repeat yourself across diff platforms. I wouldn't either. lol But that's why I want to nail this down.
That radio requires a HAM radio license in order to transmit.
Indeed. They are cracking down on that as I understand. Ex. Rugged Radios, in addition to Baofeng.
I recommend to connect/install your CB radio; not everyone has one in their rig, but most times (not all, obviously) there are several of us with them that we can cross-talk what's being said on VHF/UHF radio net.

Or, get a pair of inexpensive GMRS/FRS radios. For what we do (day trip trail rides, mostly) this might be the most reasonable/cost-effective, and time-saving solution.

The February trip with 7-8 rigs and GMRS/FRS radios worked pretty well, too. I brought four, Josh brought a couple, and Jamison brought a couple.

Here are the Craftsman radios that I have: Item #976024 Model #CMXZRAZF333 (Lowe's has these for $49 pair)

This topic of radios and FCC technician licensing has been around for a decade. When I moved to COS and joined the club, the advice was to get licensed, which I did within a year. Life would be really simple if everyone was licensed and had a dual band radio; but if the club "required" it, well, we'd be a REALLY small club! LOL
Ok, so all I'm lacking is an antenna mount. But my first born swears she's worth more than the average asking price of a decent, 80 series-specific, rear-area mount. And I feel obligated to go with that.
So I'm at an impasse. Unless someone knows a thing. Or knows a dude who can bend a thing and drill a hole or two.

@EricG has spun me to the licensed 2M dark side. Which is to say that THAT is where I'll end up.
But until I'm licensed, a couple handhelds will need to fill the gaps.
GMRS/FRS you say?
Craftsman you say?
Makes radios you say?
Blyme. I've alot to learn.
I'll get right on it!

edit:What about these?
Amazon product ASIN B001WMFYH4

Last edited:
Just an FYI, GMRS radios require a license to operate. The only radios that don’t require a license are CB, FRS and MURS. I wouldn’t count on FRS or MURS for anything over 1/2 mile. Both also require radio equipment specifically made (Type certified) for the radio service.

In in the interest of efficiency and convenience, is there such a thing as a single radio that can operate on both licensed and unlicensed bands? Just to keep from having two seperate platforms on hand?

Maybe I can sort this quandary out for you.

CB radio works on 27 Mhz frequencies. It is Amplitude Modulated (AM) so it is noisy with static. No license required. Power is limited to 4 watts of which 1 watt is the modulation. Range about 2 to 4 miles depending upon terrain and amount of things in your way like trees., snow, rain.

FRS radio works on 462 and 467 Mhz and is Frequency Modulated (FM) so it is clear for the most part until you are at the limit of the range and then it gets a little noisy. Power is 2 watts on channels 1 to 7, 1/2 watt on 8 to 14 and 2 watts on 15 to 22. No license required. Range is 5 to 10 miles depending upon terrain and obstructions

GMRS radio works on the same frequencies as FRS and is Frequency Modulated (FM). Power is 5 watts on channels 1 to 7, 1/2 watt on 8 to 14 and 50 watts on 15 to 22 V (Mobile radio on, handhels only do 5 watts) and can use repeaters on channels 15 to 22. A FCC license is required. The license is good for 10 years and costs 70 dollars. Apply on the FCC license website at fcc.gov . Range is 5 to 10 miles for handhelds, 40 moles for mobile,

MURS radio works on 151 Mhz and is FM. Power is limited to 2 watts output and there are 3 main frequencies and 2 alternate frequencies. A FCC license is not required. Range is 5 to 10 miles for handhelds,

Ham radio works on many frequencies ranging from 1.8 Mhz to 300 Ghz. What most people use is the 144 Mhz (2meter) band for vehicle to vehicle communications and the Technician license. Overall Ham radio power is limited up to 1500 watts depending upon the frequency used. A FCC license is required. There is a 35 question test to pass for your first level of license. The license is good for 10 years and costs vary depending upon which group provides the test but is usually $15 or less. There are 3 levels of licensing, Technician, General and Amateur Extra. Each level gives you more frequency privileges. The lower frequencies of Ham (General and Extra license) will allow you to talk across the country or to Europe, South America or the Far East.

If any one is interested in getting their ham license it is pretty easy and requires just a bit of study. Contact me and I have study books and am glad to help.

I have attached files to help you give you some resources for Ham radio and see the frequencies used on the different types of radios.

Your choice of radio looks good to get started on.

To get one radio that will do everything is difficult but you will need a Ham license and modification to a Ham radio, That is why you see people juggling so many radios.

Attachments

• David Molter AD0QD Resources.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 69
  • FRS-GMRS-Frequency-Chart.pdf
    199.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Hambands_color.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Awesome David. Thanks for sharing. Very quick and concise. I'll certainly hit you up for licensing guidance as the time draws closer. Currently studying for my day job cert renewal, so don't have the bandwidth to get started on HAM just yet.

But as you said, GMRS requires a license and it appears the radios I selected are GMRS (is everything from Midland GMRS?).
So should I seek out FRS for starters instead?
Reluctantly I may carve out the exorbitant numbers of dollars for a CB mount from the stimulus money and get that going as well.

In in the interest of efficiency and convenience, is there such a thing as a single radio that can operate on both licensed and unlicensed bands? Just to keep from having two seperate platforms on hand?
There is, and the Baofeng is an example of one. It’s not really about what the radio can do, it’s about what the operator is licensed to do. That’s where people have their own opinions(and laws) about how to use said radio. I run a hard mount FTM-400 in my truck. It will also transmit on most frequencies including FRS and GMRS, but I am licensed for Ham operation and it is by far my favorite mode of communication. If I wasn’t Ham licensed then I’d be running FRS or GMRS. FWIW - There is no test for the GMRS license.

I yanked my CB radio and threw in the trash three years ago and haven’t looked back.

Last edited:
Awesome David. Thanks for sharing. Very quick and concise. I'll certainly hit you up for licensing guidance as the time draws closer. Currently studying for my day job cert renewal, so don't have the bandwidth to get started on HAM just yet.

But as you said, GMRS requires a license and it appears the radios I selected are GMRS (is everything from Midland GMRS?).
So should I seek out FRS for starters instead?

Reluctantly I may carve out the exorbitant numbers of dollars for a CB mount from the stimulus money and get that going as well.

Like LC4Life said there is no test for the GMRS license. You sign up and pay $70. That is the law. Most people operate without a license. The FCC USUALLY does not enforce if individuals operate without a license. When a business uses GMRS or FRS for a business use the FCC comes down on them. Remember though if you have a HAM license and violate the GMRS license rules, you can lose your Ham license also.

You can use the GMRS radio on FRS frequencies if you reduce the output power to follow the power limitations on that channel. That also goes if you use a Baofeng on the FRS or GMRS Frequencies. Most people don't understand the rules and think if you can buy the radio you can use it on any frequency and power level. The more you learn, you will realize why they have certain rules, and why they were made which is basically to allow the most people access to the airwaves.

There are lots of manufacturers of radios for GMRS. Depending where you shop depends which brands you see.

As David has outlined, there are lots of options. But it really comes down to what the rest of the group you want to talk to is using. In my experience, this club has leaned toward the 2M ham band, with some CB chatter. But then, I haven't been out with you guys for awhile.

edit:What about these?

Midland has a good reputation as far as I know. I have no experience with any model radio they produce, however.

I got the Craftsman radios for work last year, they've been durable and reliable (construction environment).

Ok, so hopefully grasping the most important info shared here, I grabbed a pair of these for the meantime:
Amazon product ASIN B08BJG5VTC
I think I saw a couple of them on the last ride (I hope). Thanks for all the help!

Good call. You can use those for the near future while you study/prep to test for the Technician/Amateur Radio license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom