Recommendations for sourcing paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ehh

Threads
Hope this is the appropriate place to ask. I have someone that can do a paint job on my lx470 for 1000 if I can provide the paint. Looking to just paint it white but looking for a good quality paint and I'm a newb. Any recommendations on finding a deal on quality paint and clearcoat?

Most O’Reilly auto parts store mix paint.

I would buy everything from the same place, and if possible buy everything from the same paint “system”. This will help insure compatibility.

This means; the body filler works with the primer, the primer works with the sealer, the base/clear works with everything under it.

Most O’Reilly auto parts store mix paint.

I would buy everything from the same place, and if possible buy everything from the same paint “system”. This will help insure compatibility.

This means; the body filler works with the primer, the primer works with the sealer, the base/clear works with everything under it.
Is that brand a good quality option?

TAMCO is great and has incredible customer service. I purchased all the supplies from them, including cleaning supplies, primer, paint and clear. Super happy and not terribly expensive. Think it cost around $1k for everything. Painted in my driveway.

IMG_4101.jpg

Is there a good source that can match OEM paint colors?

@danmcph Anyone can mix OEM paint colors. Whether or not a source is good depends a lot on where you are. The body shop manager here buys, and recommended to me, from Finish Master. The closest store to you is Seattle/Tacoma/Portland. They don't appear to have as large a presence on the west coast as they do here, so somone else has the market where you are. I'd recommend you do what I did, find a body shop you trust, run by someone who cares about their work, and ask them where they buy their stuff. @SNLC can probably give you a good recommendation or two, if there isn't anyone close to you who can.

Most suppliers
Is there a good source that can match OEM paint colors?
Most automotive paint distributors will have a spectrophotometer that will get you really close to a paint match. Just understand that what is on your vehicle has faded and worn and even if you had the exact same paint that was put on at the factory it wouldn't match perfectly. With the paint formulation as close as possible, you're still going to have to blend it into the existing paint.

Do a search for "automotive paint supplies" and you'll likely find options local to you. If you're just picking a color for a complete repaint you can find options to purchase online, but if you're doing partial work you're going to want someone local to be able to use a spectrophotometer to get it close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom