Recommendations for Refurbish my 04 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Id keep the 100 with how nice you’ve kept up with it! Here’s a giant thread on the current problem you’re having.

Thank you! I’m returning to the camp of working through this. Was just very frustrated the other day with both vehicles acting up. I’m on this thread as well.

These trucks are absolutely unstoppable with Blizzaks, it's like having a superpower. Much safer all around in the snow by every metric, and the only thing to worry about is other people.

And I'm with you on keeping things OEM, these trucks are built to last, were well-designed, and are relatively easy to work on (especially when one takes advantage of the expertise/knowledge database built up in this forum). I'm currently going through my cooling system now (every hose, clamp, and gasket, rad, t-stat, heater cores flushed, etc.); after that I'll do the suspension (every bushing and mount, AHC globes, new UCAs/LCAs front/rear, etc.). Also, prices on many OEM parts have come down over the last few years; since I hope to keep this truck for several more decades I've been stashing quite a few parts away.
Right on and thank you. Good luck with your rig’s refresh and hope it goes well! Now is the time to be running through it. Yes, the Hundy still occupies a unique space in the automotive world.

Appreciate the thought process. I usually lean towards keeping what you have and the devils you know, even when needing a decent investment to keep going, but 11 more years and 200k more miles of daily use is lofty on a rig already 20 years old. A 100 can absolutely do it, but it won't be your last 4-figure repair along the way. No shame in considering something else (I think a small investment up to an 08-11 LC200 could be a good idea).

Appreciate the thought process. I usually lean towards keeping what you have and the devils you know, even when needing a decent investment to keep going, but 11 more years and 200k more miles of daily use is lofty on a rig already 20 years old. A 100 can absolutely do it, but it won't be your last 4-figure repair along the way. No shame in considering something else (I think a small investment up to an 08-11 LC200 could be a good idea).
Appreciate the comments. I am still on the fence, so we will see. I am surprised how many hundy owners say skip straight the lx600. You are the first one to suggest a 570, which is how I’m leaning. I am still thinking a 2020/21 so it is “only” 15 years old in 2035.
I completely understand the 600 is a huge step up in the chassis, no question. I do love this latest generation of Lexus interior design. My wife has a ‘23 RX and I really can’t stand this generation safety Nannie’s that yell at me without saying why. And then (eye of the beholder here) I simply prefer the back of the 200 series (either LC or LX).
At this time I’m going to order all the parts to replace the evap system, my local dealer will install this and they have requested Slee to check their work. The FSM says with the P2418 in the mix suggest a pinched wire or hose. It also adds the possibility of vacuum hose leaks which I’m trying to eliminate.
Finally, your point of 4 figure bills is understood. I’m more interested in cutting back down on unforeseen issues which unfortunately do become more common with age on any vehicle. This exact reason is what is pushing me to replacing it as my main/primary. At this point I could probably finish replacing all hoses and some ecu’s for way less than a new LX.

I wouldn’t trade up for only 08-11; I’d make the jump to 16+ for his purposes. $1000-$2000 a year is still nothing compared to dropping 70k+ on a much newer 200/300 series. The 200 comes with its own common problems as well, no vehicle is perfect. They do cruise the highway nicer(75mph) but I still preferred picking a 100 up.

Once big ticket suspension items, good for another 20 years, brake master($$) good for another 10+, timing belt + extras like idlers, radiator, hoses and such, good for another 7+.

People get lured into new cars thinking it’s “cheaper” and rarely I think it would be. Rust or water damage (electrical gremlins) could put you in that spot, not much else. Even getting a replacement 2UZ engine is cheaper than a 200.

None of my Toyotas ever left me anywhere, I’ve been stranded twice by other makes sub 50k miles… fwiw.

Having thought about this more, it is a little unreasonable for a vehicle to be a primary driver for 30+ years. It can happen no doubt, but to set that expectation is different. The next question would be when to make that switch if the switch is inevitable?
If I should pick up a 2021/20 with under 40k miles and get it on track by switching P/S, brake fluid, AHC fluid immediately with drivetrain and keep it on schedule I think 15 years is easily achievable. Obviously if I grab a 600 it will be on track from the get go and 10+ years is an expectation that should be met. I mean it is still a Land Cruiser.

I wouldn’t trade up for only 08-11; I’d make the jump to 16+ for his purposes. $1000-$2000 a year is still nothing compared to dropping 70k+ on a much newer 200/300 series. The 200 comes with its own common problems as well, no vehicle is perfect. They do cruise the highway nicer(75mph) but I still preferred picking a 100 up.

Once big ticket suspension items, good for another 20 years, brake master($$) good for another 10+, timing belt + extras like idlers, radiator, hoses and such, good for another 7+.

People get lured into new cars thinking it’s “cheaper” and rarely I think it would be. Rust could put you in that spot, not much else. Even getting a replacement 2UZ engine is cheaper than a 200.

None of my Toyotas ever left me anywhere, I’ve been stranded twice by other makes sub 50k miles… fwiw.
Agreed on all counts. The hundy is a great vehicle and has not ever left me stranded and I do not think it will. But taking it in for extra issues will be more frequent with age, which is an annoyance factor. Your point is exactly right, I can do anything with the hundy for less than buying another, the economics will never work out with the purchase.
Likewise, your point is also correct with no vehicle being perfect, I just am getting tired of known things intermixing with “old car” issues which are simply more random in every way.

You seem well informed and understand what can and might pop up.

Also seems like you understand financially what is cheaper, which leads me to believe you understand what’s in or out of your budget. Being in that position is great, it will allow you to make a choice of what you’d rather deal with; spending money on a new vehicle upgrade, or saving some for a well loved 200, either or should keep you out of the shop for the “hiccups” of the 25 yr old 100.

If you can deal with the minor stuff, I’d keep riding the 100 for awhile until you have something major pop up. Slowly go shopping to get your feet wet and see what’s out there.

How bout another 100? Low miles, 06 or 07, garage queen. They are rare, and not cheap when they do pop up, but less than a new Denali or LX!

How bout another 100? Low miles, 06 or 07, garage queen. They are rare, and not cheap when they do pop up, but less than a new Denali or LX!
Appreciate the thoughts and toyed with it before I started going through my hundy. Even on garage queens, rubber ages. Still an almost 20 yr old vehicle, and I would lose the ability to have a 40 gallon main tank (04 I think was the last year and I absolutely love it.). And it would still be almost 30 years old in 2035. I would prefer my main vehicle to be less than 20 and really less than 15 years old. I think that is a fair time frame to switch vehicles.

Enjoyed reading your adventures and build progresses.

If I were in your situation I would just keep the 100 as you know it best now and know inside it and out. A lot of work you did to it if you sell it now, you won’t be able to sell it for that value, like replacing bushings on diff or body or engine, etc.

I would consider buying a LC200 with some miles on it but over 2012 year. The LX570 models, can be had for quite good value as fancy Lexus-ites are upping to the LX600. The LC200 is a beast and super reliable as well.

I own both an old 06 which is more my project vehicle to baseline and refresh with new parts. Am in not a rush to do it all at once so I save up and then splurge then work on it over some weeks. But I have a good condition LC200 which I know won’t be going bad any time soon. So I have two trucks to use to not worry about daily driver issues.

But my heart is still with the LC100. Grew up on that machine and I just am more familiar with what is inside it and what can go wrong on it.

Enjoyed reading your adventures and build progresses.

If I were in your situation I would just keep the 100 as you know it best now and know inside it and out. A lot of work you did to it if you sell it now, you won’t be able to sell it for that value, like replacing bushings on diff or body or engine, etc.

I would consider buying a LC200 with some miles on it but over 2012 year. The LX570 models, can be had for quite good value as fancy Lexus-ites are upping to the LX600. The LC200 is a beast and super reliable as well.

I own both an old 06 which is more my project vehicle to baseline and refresh with new parts. Am in not a rush to do it all at once so I save up and then splurge then work on it over some weeks. But I have a good condition LC200 which I know won’t be going bad any time soon. So I have two trucks to use to not worry about daily driver issues.

But my heart is still with the LC100. Grew up on that machine and I just am more familiar with what is inside it and what can go wrong on it.
Agreed. Drove over 800 miles today, topped up 4 times with no pressurization in the tank until final fill up in an unusually warm (for this time of year) Wichita (80F). So intermittent. Love traveling in this rig and I am close to my original goal of replacing all rubber parts. When I get back home I think I will replace entire evap system (including valves and sensors) and then group together the stuff in the engine bay to tackle in parts. Should complete this year I would think. With that project done, just body seals left which are easy.
At that point it will be interesting to see what “old car” troubles pop up since I think most are caused by old rubber hoses. lol.

Appreciate the thoughts and toyed with it before I started going through my hundy. Even on garage queens, rubber ages. Still an almost 20 yr old vehicle, and I would lose the ability to have a 40 gallon main tank (04 I think was the last year and I absolutely love it.). And it would still be almost 30 years old in 2035. I would prefer my main vehicle to be less than 20 and really less than 15 years old. I think that is a fair time frame to switch vehicles.
LRA support confirmed my recent inquiry that 07 is supported for a 40 gallon main tank with slight modification. Feel free to ask them yourself for confirmation. I wouldn’t rule out a cherry 06-07 100 series.

LRA support confirmed my recent inquiry that 07 is supported for a 40 gallon main tank with slight modification. Feel free to ask them yourself for confirmation. I wouldn’t rule out a cherry 06-07 100 series.
1709501311238.png

Today’s temps range from 10f to 45f. Blizzard on top of Ike pass threatened to close the road. Topped up 3 times, no pressurization of fuel tank. 750 miles. Glad I had the Blizzaks on, made everything easy.

Just sharing about the trip out west. Had 70 all to myself for quite a few hours, or at least the snow plows shared it with me 😎.

IMG_9549.jpeg

This is about 5:30am, about 100 miles west of Grand Junction, CO, and about 17F

IMG_9547.jpeg

One of the things I love about these trips are moments like this.

IMG_9550.jpeg

The road is so icy here that it was difficult to stand on so I pulled off into the snow, lol. Blizzaks didn’t care.

And out in the inland empire of Cali that same day:

IMG_9552.jpeg

Got home Saturday with no further codes or pressurization in gas tank. Left the next day in wife’s RX350 (‘23) for Tulsa. Once again, the hundy rides better.

Lending the Hundy out to daughter in law while her car is getting repaired, and all of a sudden AC stops working, lol. Took it in, recharged and holding pressure (was empty). Will take in when she is done with it.
And then today comes over and the gasket on top passenger side of windshield is flapping around (just replaced the windshield within last year). Started looking around it and noticed all the gaskets are old. Will replace those as well.
Just funny how things work great and then when letting someone borrow it stuff comes up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom