Recommendation on a Cat-Back system/Tire Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new owner of a '97 40th LC...I finally decided to sell the 4Runner I told myself I would never sell to get the LC I've been obsessing about.

Some of the mods that come to mind after lurking around here for the last couple of weeks (i've read most all of posts) include cat-back system, ome suspension, and new shoes for the LC.

As the LC's Michelins are still in good shape, I will wait awhile before changing them out for either BFG AT's or Dueler AT's.

For the time being and early X-mas present to myself, I think I'd like to get a new Cat-Back system. My question...asked many times on different boards is... what type of cat back system should I get? I had a Borla for my 4R and loved it, but was wondering about Flowmasters and other manufacturers.

How does the exhaust tone and performance increase (I know it's slight) compare among the different brands out there? Can someone tell me which one is louder?

The only reason I ask is that after I got my last Borla, I noticed a lot of people were extremely happy with their flowmasters and other mufflers...they also said that at half the cost of the Borla system, I could have had more modding money...

I thought this time around I'd consider my options.

I'd also like to thank cruiserdan for his parts services...I'm tackling the antenna fix next. :cheers:

Recommendation on a Cat-Back system

Hi Draken,
Congrats on your purchase. I've got a 94, and the first thing I had to spend money on after buying it was tires. I live in Dallas, and commute a lot so I got BFG AT, the new style. They ride quite a bit more firm, but have held up great. I wish I trailed more so I could have justified a mud terrain. If you plan on trailing much at all, I would go that route with several good mud terrains getting decent longetivity mileage like close to 40K, but with excellent trail traction. The good thing about buying MT's is you get the chance to change brands or tires more often. It's going to be a while before I wear out my A/T's as it looks like they'll go 65K. Think about going to a 33" dia. tire as well, because it sounds like a great combination on a LC. A 2.5" OME and larger tires is a great improvement over stock size tires and supension. I'ld rather have that than replace a good exhaust system with an aftermarket. Wait until something rust thru before spending money on that.
As far as Borla vs. Flowmaster, they will probably both help a little with performance and mileage. The Borla's are stainless steel, so they will last longer. You might want to look into changing your cat's also to a free flow aftermarket. There are several threads on this site for Flowmaster, and some even have a sound link where you can hear one. Nothing's going to beat getting to hear one in person.

Bryan Enoch

Re:Recommendation on a Cat-Back system

Draken,

>> ... that than replace a good exhaust system with an aftermarket. <<

If you're looking for better gas mileage then you won't get anything significant from a Borla or a Flowmaster. As Bryan points out in the above quote, you would have to *really* be into exhaust systems to replace a perfectly good OEM stainless steel system with aftermarket unless something is wrong with yours.

Give some thought to an OME suspension; either the no-lift or the 50mm lift. This upgrade will transform your stock truck from a wallowing pig to a nimble sports car. OK, that's a little bold, but the improvement is dramatic and a far, far better investment than just improving the sound.

If you are dead set on the exhaust system look for posts by landtank on his new Borla system. There are also some pics of C-Dan's Borla exhaust and how he ran it through the rear bumper.

-B-

Coming from a stock '94 4Runner suspension to the LC's suspension...I've already noticed an improvement in handling (yes 2 different vehicles)...Will changing to OME shocks and springs be that much more of a noticeable improvement? If I choose to go that route, I would probably retain stock height as this is my DD and I want to improve its offroad capability, but not make it my trail rig....yet. What's the optimal tire size that I can have w/o getting any rubbing while offroad.

Draken,

>> Will changing to OME shocks and springs be that <<
>> much more of a noticeable improvement? <<

Ride quality is subjective. Almost everyone that installs the OME suspension has very positive comments on the improvement. I can tell you that it was one of the first mods done to my truck and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you are not going to use a rig off-road then stay with the stock tyre size and the 'no-lift' OME springs. If you want a more aggressive look and plan to do some light off-road (dirt roads, forest service trails, camping and fishing, etc.) then consider an A/T style and 285/75R16 (approx 33") or the wider 305/70R16's. You will not have a problem with rubbing and a 33" tyre will still fit under the truck in the stock spare location.
-B-

I've been thinking, which is pretty dangerous on the weekend, and I'm pondering if I need to replace the exhaust. I'm overdue for the emissions test because my cats are all banged up. I can reset my EGR light before I go test, but I'm not sure if I'll pass because of the cats. If not, I need to replace them and I'll definately go with a single high flow unit. Then I'll replace the rest of the bent up mess under my truck. Toyota factory is not all that expensive and warrentied forever. Custom bent I could route differently for more ground clearance, but my hope is to stop beating the 80 to bits off road for a couple of years. What to do, what to do.
I've though that the stock routing must be done to get the exhaust out the rear without running pipe in the wheelwell, but I hate the crossovers under the frame where mine is now mashed flat.
Options:
1. Exit before the rear wheel. The G-55 does this so I'm not buying that it is illegal.
2. Route through the frame. Many low riders do this. I'm not buying it would significantly reduce frame integrity, especially if reinforced.
3. Build little skid plates \__/ to protect the pipes.

Others?

Gumby, why not Y- the pipe just after the rear cat and then send 2 smaller, but equally volumed, pipes over the top of the frame as the earlier 93-94 models did. I've been looking at this change as a possible future change if my off-roading becomes a bigger part of my free time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom