Receiver Cargo Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have experience with the receiver cargo carriers?

Specifically, have you tested the weight limit of 500lbs that most of them have?

I am curious that if you have 3-400lbs or more how much they wobble?

I carry a motorcycle off of the hitch receiver. The weight of the motorcycle, gas can and the Motojackrack carrier is 350 lbs. The angular movement at the hitch is considerable. To counter it - I tie the motorcycle off to the roof rack. Once tied off - it is stable.

More of a concern is the weight on the back of the vehicle. I want to install the under the coil airbags to counter this added weight. The vehicle points upward with the motorcycle on the back.

Byron,

The weight rating of hitch carriers is derived from the dead-weight capacity of the hitch platform on the vehicle. In the case of the OEM 80 series hitch and most of the aftermarket 80 series platforms it is 500 lbs. Think of it as a trailer without wheels. The carrier mimics the "tongue weight" of a trailer, only it doesn't have a counter-balance of wheels further back. The ammount of movement will depend a great deal on how snugly the insert fits in the reciever tube. Depending on the wear in the reciever and the weight carried, it could be significant and you may need to brace it somehow as described by Sean.

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like one might be okay for my use. Probably only a cooler or two. Then 2 or 3 dead deer during season, so if I am maxing the weight it will only be for a few miles.

I borrowed Dad's hitch carrier last summer to carry 4 winter tires home from the Tire Rack's HQ. It wobbled a bit, so I took a cheap butter knife from an unnamed chain restaurant along an unnamed highway and tapped it in with a hammer. Once tight, the rack never moved again for 2000 miles. I wrapped duct tape around the knife/rack to keep it from vibrating out. Just around town it would have been fine, but for 3 days of driving I couldn't handle it.

IdahoDoug

Idaho-

Nicely done!! That's kind of like using a hog ring to fix a rip in your jeans!

Yep. Definitely the trailer trash repair method. It had all the ingredients - theft, misuse of cutlery, duct tape, and importantly the repair was carried out in the parking lot.

IdahoDoug

Rick,

That's pretty slick. Did it come that way or did you think that up?

Anybody have pic of one of these cargo carriers?

I could always use more room.

A local manufacturer built a few thousand of these before the customer went bankrupt. They unloaded them for about $20/ea, so I see them all over town now. Great for hauling messy stuff you wouldn't want in your truck (no comments about Junk's momma). Most trailer accessory places have them, some even have a 2" reciever at the back for bike racks and such. Try Tractor Supply or Cabelas.

An off road carrier.
The only problem is with the 285 spare tire, I can't get the tubes in far enough to put the pin in :( it bottoms out on the tire. The tire rests on the back of the receiver.
kurt

Kurt,

I LIKE THAT. Did you build that yourself? The only drawback That I can see is it doesn't look like you can open the lower gate with it in place. The departure angle is great. You could drill another hole in the tube to be able to pin it, no?
In my case, I would not be able to access my drawers unless I could open the lower gate.

Oh, I see ya managed to get the nose of the KW in that pic ::) Does it have a real motor in it, or a Cat?

It has a cat :( C12 :'(
I had a welder guy do it for my 5400 mi trip in the FJ60. I never used the 'LiftXtension' as we ran out of time to go off road. The rack was handy, I had it so loaded(28gal gas kans and all the junk that wouldn't fit inside and the back FULL) that the front end of the 60 was almost off the ground. Had to move the tire chains and other heavy stuff up front.
Cant open the gate. I had a cargo box on the rack, great for storage 8)
I was thinking, there has to be a way to mount the spare tire to the LiftXtension for when I go 4Xing
kurt

Sorry to pick on Cats. I'm partial to Cummins.

Here's mine:

21 feet 5 and 3/4 inches 8)

It's a 6BT, does great. The torque is a mind bender. ;)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4374;start=msg36471#msg36471 date=1062207871]
Sorry to pick on Cats. I'm partial to Cummins.

Here's mine:
[/quote]

where did you get that? Dodge didn't make a 4 door with a Cummins........did they?

John H

John,

Nope, they didn't :D A very tallented friend of mine built it for me. We started with an '89 W350 standard cab Cummins that I bought new in '88. He grafted the back half of the cab and 34 inches of the frame from an '85 2wd crew cab onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom