Recall seat belt failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LBridges

SILVER Star
Threads
I know there are several recall threads, but I didn't want this issue to get lost, so... sorry if my thought was muddy.

Anyway, didn't have a passenger in the LC until 2 days after recall belt assembly was installed. Up until then I had no lights or other indications something was wrong. After wife got in for a ride we quickly found an issue that the service writer didn't understand, then the dealer's service manager had to come out and see for himself too. Said in all his years had never seen behavior like my LC was exhibiting.

Condition: Ignition OFF. Seat belt works as expected - extend, retract, and slight spring tension across chest when buckled all normal. Yank on belt and mechanism properly restrains/locks - basically all good.

Condition ignition ON: Seat belt extends normally, retracts normally when unbuckled. But while, and only while, belt is buckled the belt doesn't maintain tension across chest and doesn't retract if pulled out any further. Doesn't matter if buckled before or after starting, always there with ignition on. Also didn't respond by properly locking up when yanked.

Discovery mode - wife got in LC and buckled up. I hadn't started the engine yet so she didn't notice anything wrong. Shortly after we took off she leaned forward to look for something in glove compartment. To our surprise belt didn't go back to retract normal tension/position once she sat back. We headed back home, not wanting to drive with a non-functioning seat belt. After we got home, tested and retested, each time the ignition on/off behavior repeated in the same way.

The dealer found the newly installed recall assembly to be defective. Ordered in another replacement part and gave me a rental. Picked LC up this morning and all seems OK. Was told recall was due to an internal electrical fault with the belt assembly. Also told that my problem was an electrical part failure in the part used for the first recall repair. So maybe all is well and I got the one bad part, or maybe we haven't heard the last on this recall item. I know we will be keeping an eye on the air bag light and seat belt tension for a good long while.

Long winded way for me to say that anyone getting the recall performed might want to run a little test before declaring victory.

Last edited:
Interesting....well, I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning. I may be taking one for the team this time. Wish me luck...

My service writer let me know mine was getting taken care of last week when it was back at the dealer for a little body work.

Didn't know about the recall, and I haven’t had it long enough to notice any issues.

I’ll definitely pay attention to see how it’s working now.

I took mine in today, all I'd say is go ahead and call ahead, they can order the parts off the VIN. I took mine in, they ran the VIN (which they had from the service request sent in days ago), filled out some paperwork, and sent me on my way saying the part was ordered. Annoying. We'll see in a week, and I'll be on the lookout for any faulty parts. The guy did say there are like 5 different parts all for J05 recall, depending on VIN.

I haven’t experienced any issue with mine but I went ahead and ordered the part anyway. Got the call that it’s waiting for me and scheduled to be installed Friday.

Gents, this "seemed" to be the best thread to piggy back on....

I called about 2 weeks ago to get in line for the passenger airbag/seat belt remedy. My dealer now has "back ordered" the parts required to do the "fix" - BUT has no ETA on when those parts are expected (3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks?).

Does anyone have any information as to when parts will begin to flow? I have a call into Lexus/Toyota and if learn anything will certainly post it up.

Many thanks

Gents, this "seemed" to be the best thread to piggy back on....

I called about 2 weeks ago to get in line for the passenger airbag/seat belt remedy. My dealer now has "back ordered" the parts required to do the "fix" - BUT has no ETA on when those parts are expected (3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks?).

Does anyone have any information as to when parts will begin to flow? I have a call into Lexus/Toyota and if learn anything will certainly post it up.

Many thanks
There's lots more information on parts availability in this thread. (There are other threads on the parts too.)

My dealership parts department called me today and i have an appointment for this friday to get this recall taken care of. Stay with with it

hmmm..

So first time I called Toyota of Cedar Park, service writer told me that she'd order part thru the parts department and call me back. Never got a call. So I called back and was told I had to schedule the appointment first, then they'd order the part. Two totally different stories. I've never used this dealer before and am inclined to find someone else. They did not inspire confidence. Also, since the passenger seatbelt lights are behaving right, I'm thinking of blowing off the recall altogether.

Glad I can do most of my own work and have a great mechanic for what I cant do myself (Bearden automotive in NW Austin if you're looking for someone good in Austin).

Last edited:
So first time I called Toyota of Cedar Park, service writer told me that she'd order part thru the parts department and call me back. Never got a call. So I called back and was told I had to schedule the appointment first, then they'd order the part. Two totally different stories. I've never used this dealer before and am inclined to find someone else. They did not inspire confidence. Also, since the passenger seatbelt lights are behaving right, I'm thinking of blowing off the recall altogether.

Glad I can do most of my own work and have a great mechanic for what I cant do myself (Bearden automotive in NW Austin if you're looking for someone).
Autonation toyota south Austin was awesome to deal with. Call and ask for Cole. One visit, had a loaner even though it only took two hours, he’s a bit of a cruiserhead, work was done right without issue.

Dealer explanation sounds logical. These belts have electric pre-tensioners on them. Glad you got it fixed correctly. I have not experienced this issue.

Quick update - I called customer care after posting Tuesday. I was escalated and assigned a case number. I was called back within 24 hours (end of the day Weds), as is protocol, but the caller had no information other than "we are working on it and will call the dealer". I, as diplomatically as I could, reminded them that I came to them as the dealer had not heard squat from Toyota, also that I under stood the call was only to satisfy the 24 hour protocol and that no new info was learned.

Ironically, or not, my dealer called yesterday, Thursday, that parts were in. Appoint Monday for the work to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom