Rebuilding the Front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, sort of. Wont be touching the pumpkin but will be installing upgraded shafts and birfs in the front axle so I guess I will be doing bearings and seals too. Anyone done this and can tell me how difficult it is?

Rubber gloves and lots and lots of paper towels. Not a difficult job, just messy. Don't disconnect the. Brake lines from the calipers and be sure the flats on the birfs are lined up when you install.

Get the Factory Service Manual for your vehicle.

An article I found useful covering front axle rebuilds Repacking CV (Birfield) Joints and Wheel Bearings

a rubber spatula is helpful for scooping out old goop from your axle, and helps with repacking birf.

Lots and lots and lots of paper towels. A fish scale to check preload or see Marlin's site for their version. Good torque wrench.

If you have to separate the birf from the axle for any reason (like installing Longs), then a 3' piece of 1.5" schedule 40 pipe works great.

I'm slow and set aside a day per side.

Get the Factory Service Manual for your vehicle.

An article I found useful covering front axle rebuilds Repacking CV (Birfield) Joints and Wheel Bearings

a rubber spatula is helpful for scooping out old goop from your axle, and helps with repacking birf.

Lots and lots and lots of paper towels. A fish scale to check preload or see Marlin's site for their version. Good torque wrench.

If you have to separate the birf from the axle for any reason (like installing Longs), then a 3' piece of 1.5" schedule 40 pipe works great.

I'm slow and set aside a day per side.

Got all of that except the pipe. Whats the pipe for?

Got all of that except the pipe. Whats the pipe for?

If you have to separate the birf from the axle for any reason like installing Longs.

You def want a brass hammer! , ask me how I know :bang:

I always thought the pipe was for when you get pissed off you could hit it. (the pipe) :)

Chris

You're thinking of a bong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom