Rear wheel alignment after spacer or spring install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m installing rear spacers and am wondering if all I do to remove the springs and reinstall them with spacers is open the KDSS valves, and pull of the lower shock mounts to lower the axle enough to remove/replace the springs, do I need to check alignment after I’m done?

I don't recall seeing any way to adjust the rear alignment of the 200. The front has cams for adjusting the position of the lower control arm, but i don't think the rear has any adjustments.

@CharlieS got it.

Fortunately or unfortunately, most solid rear axle setups including ours don't have any real provisions for alignment. The alignment is built into the axle. Which is part of the reason off-roaders love solid axles, including solid front axles. Generally hard to knock things out of alignment.

Not that you're asking this, but there are aftermarket options for alignment. Adjustable length trailing arms and panhard bar.

Thanks. I couldn’t see any way to adjust it either but you never know what you don’t know.

I just checked the FSM, and they only mention front end alignment.

One can argue that lifting the rear shifts the cg forward therefore more weight over the front axle. More weight up front = lower static position of the front suspension therefore altering the front end alignment. Edit: To clarify, I would personally NOT worry about the front end alignment with a small rear spacer lift.

But rear wheel alignment, nope no adjustment on factory setup and none needed really.

Last edited:
One can argue that lifting the rear shifts the cg forward therefore more weight over the front axle. More weight up front = lower static position of the front suspension therefore altering the front end alignment. Edit: To clarify, I would personally NOT worry about the front end alignment with a small rear spacer lift.

But rear wheel alignment, nope no adjustment on factory setup and none needed really.
Yes I can see that. Makes me then think that the cargo weight in the back would also make a difference when doing an alignment. I suppose you should do the alignment either the most typical cargo load. I suspect any affect would be within the passing criteria of the alignment either way.

Does the LX AHC also adjust alignment when it changes the height of the truck? Welcome to the rabbit hole....

Yes I can see that. Makes me then think that the cargo weight in the back would also make a difference when doing an alignment. I suppose you should do the alignment either the most typical cargo load. I suspect any affect would be within the passing criteria of the alignment either way.

Does the LX AHC also adjust alignment when it changes the height of the truck? Welcome to the rabbit hole....

Correct. If I run loaded all the time, I would get an alignment at that ride height. You can be that guy and request weights on the drivers seat lol.

The LX does not correct alignment with it's height changes. It does lower it's ride height a little around 65ish mph. Disclaimer, beyond this point, I'm pulling info out my butt and may be very wrong lol. I've never look that closely at my LX570's tie rods but it may not sit parallel to the ground in N but sloped a hair downwards. At "HWY" height, the tie rod may swing past parallel and is now exactly sloped the same as in N but upwards. In theory, this doesn't change the toe much if any. I can't see the engineers sacrificing less drag (LOL) for more rolling resistance/tire wear unless the benefits of less drag outweighs the rolling resistance/tire wear. Oh the rabbit hole lol

You'll want to recalibrate the vehicles stability control zero point after any suspension work however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom