Rear tire carrier - Do you guys leave them on all the time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wastingtimeinthewoods.com
Do any of you guys who run with rear spare carrier take them off when not on the trail? What do you do for a spare around town? I want to get tires a bit bigger than stock but I have a factory hitch so I can only go up about 3/4" before the spare would rub on the rear sway. I was thinking a hitch mounted swing carrier because I could take it off when not out on the trail but then I'd have no spare with it off.

I'd love to get one but I don't want to run it all the time (so I can get in the garage) and I don't want to be without a spare when I'm not running the carrier. Any ideas?

When I was running the Wilco hitch mounted carrier, I would take it off when I wasn't using it. Although I never needed it, I figured I would get AAA to tow me if I got a flat.
I eventually went with a JW carrier because I was tired of loading and unloading the heavy spare every weekend.

I don't have one since I have a MetalTech rear bumper with it attached, but IF I did, and this is just my 2 cents worth, if the following conditions were met:
  1. On trails only a couple times a year
  2. Almost always within cell service
  3. This rig is your daily driver
  4. You have storage space with easy access in your garage or...
  5. You're young enough and back is strong enough
  6. If you're wife has to deal with it when doing the weekly shopping
  7. Stay on top of your tire service, e.g. inflation, rotation, balance, etc.
Then I'd take it off, keep a can of tire sealant in the back with the jack and AAA's phone number.
BUT...
If you're an avid off-roader/adventurer or this vehicle is relegated more for recreation, then I'd keep it on.
Again, just my 2 cents...

I have an UltraSwing on the way. I’m running 33’s. My 2014 GX is my daily driver and part of my 20 mile commute is on gravel. I plan on leaving the spare on the rig since I have plenty of room in the garage to park and if I do get a flat I’ll have the spare if needed. I chose the UltraSwing because it is a solid built product and the way it’s engineered it won’t have any play or wobble - similar system as the Kuat MTB bike rack.

I don't have one since I have a MetalTech rear bumper with it attached, but IF I did, and this is just my 2 cents worth, if the following conditions were met:
  1. On trails only a couple times a year
  2. Almost always within cell service
  3. This rig is your daily driver
  4. You have storage space with easy access in your garage or...
  5. You're young enough and back is strong enough
  6. If you're wife has to deal with it when doing the weekly shopping
  7. Stay on top of your tire service, e.g. inflation, rotation, balance, etc.
Then I'd take it off, keep a can of tire sealant in the back with the jack and AAA's phone number.
BUT...
If you're an avid off-roader/adventurer or this is vehicle is relegated more for recreation, then I'd keep it on.
Again, just my 2 cents...

Definitely "no" to the first two. We're just family camping but it's fairly often and generally 20-30 miles from pavement. Nowhere I'd want to have two kids and wife without a spare. I'm thinking my best option is to live with smaller tires that will fit the stock location, or more likely, JW carrier so I can fit it in the garage FtoB. I wish I had the time to do the Jeep swing away mod that Haigami did.

I was hoping you'd say something like "Oh yeah, we all run 33" doughnuts in town because they fit underneath"

There are some great looking and functional All Terrain tires out there that look really good and can be just squeezed in the under spare location.
I don't recall the size, but there has been discussion on a couple of threads from people who want a larger, more aggressive tire, but still be able to keep the spare underneath. Check those out and take a look at what their rigs look like with that size tire. It may surprise you how good it looks!
And you will probably not have to worry about rubbing, lifts, suspension and all.

Ultra Swing here......

stays on 24-7

I see no reason to remove it

1OFwmnM.jpg

There are some great looking and functional All Terrain tires out there that look really good and can be just squeezed in the under spare location.
I don't recall the size, but there has been discussion on a couple of threads from people who want a larger, more aggressive tire, but still be able to keep the spare underneath. Check those out and take a look at what their rigs look like with that size tire. It may surprise you how good it looks!
And you will probably not have to worry about rubbing, lifts, suspension and all.
Will do.
Ultra Swing here......

stays on 24-7

I see no reason to remove it

1OFwmnM.jpg
I wish I had that much room in my garage. I think that spare would be sitting next to the TV in my living room with some splinters if I backed in.

I’m thinking about a hitch-mounted carrier also, but that being said...
With my KDSS ‘05, I can JUST BARELY fit a BFG KO2, in 255-75/17 (32”) in the spare position. If I deflated it somewhat it would fit better.
If you don’t have KDSS, I believe you have slightly more room due to the reduced size of the rear sway bar.
I ran that size for a few weeks before I got a lift, and experienced no rubbing. However, I didn’t do any trail work, and never tested it by backing up a hill with the wheel hard over, etc.
Just another consideration for you...
Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited:
when I built this garage 6 yrs ago...I wanted plenty of room to walk around vehicles

30' deep......50' long.....the Chevy 2500HD crew cab fits well too

RktrZJG.jpg

ew5cV1X.jpg
Garage envy! 🥰
What I wouldn't give for 3 wide, 1.5 deep (or larger) garage!!
My dad always said, when you are ready to build, build the garage first! Then build the house around the garage!!
You just HAD to show your NICE BIG garage, didn't you!!!
This is my ONE car garage with a little kick-out on the side for a work bench. My welding equipment is behind the big black tool chest, on the left in the back.
20200811_105103.jpg

Note, stroller (granddaughter's stroller), beach wagon with the blow-up ring on it, bikes, surf boards, paddle boards, body (Boggie) boards, fins, beach chairs, etc. And buried under all that is all our camping gear.
But... I am 100' from the pool, e.g. Pacific Ocean.

Last edited:
oh yea......the NG radiant tube heater kicks azz & takes names in the dead of winter

running 6 months of the year.....cozy 68*

winters are L O N G here

purty much sick of the summer 90* heat though this year

Yx5PibJ.jpg

I don't see how you can live without a spare, especially on a full-time 4WD SUV like this where you need a full-size spare regardless of the size. I am impatiently waiting on new rear bumper/tire carrier options to hit the market so that I can get my spare out of the cargo area.

One more minor thing, but some folks really don't realize it, so forgive me if you all already know this:
DO NOT EVER put a spare tire in place of or ANY tire that is not the same diameter (O.D., not rim size) as what is being replaced.
Since our vehicles are ALL wheel drive, generally all the tires get some load on them when traveling down the road.
An odd size tire WILL wind up your drive train! I know, personal experience about 30 years ago with an all wheel drive Toyota Previa mini van. Luckily it was still under warranty and they (Toyota) replaced about $3,500 worth of drive line components because I put on a different size spare.

Last edited:
Hitch mounted swing out from Detours here. Leave it in 100% of the time...why? Well insurance in case I'm across town. Also, TPMS...my OCD cannot deal with a light on.
Also, rotate in your 5th. Tires seemingly last "longer" and you'll have more consistent wear across the set.

Hitch mounted swing out from Detours here. Leave it in 100% of the time...why? Well insurance in case I'm across town. Also, TPMS...my OCD cannot deal with a light on.
Also, rotate in your 5th. Tires seemingly last "longer" and you'll have more consistent wear across the set.
All good advice. I'm leaning towards detours and will call them today. What did you do about your BU camera and license plate?

Tried a T4R harness for the camera and wasted $300 (facepalm). I’ve just gotten accustomed to using mirrors and turning my head...old school.
Detours places two threaded rivnuts in the swing out beam for the plate.

If you're handy, it's not that hard to relocate. Just remove the rear door panel, pull the camera out, back fill the hole it came out of. Then you can make a simple mount and bolt it to your license plate frame or some location that works.
That's all I did. I mounted the camera to the jerry can mount. My first pass I used too small gauge wire and got very poor picture quality and it would break up. Changed out the wire and have never looked back... Well I mean I do look at the screen when I'm backing up, but, well... ummm, You know what I mean.

I didn't intend to leave it on full time but after mounting and unmounting it a few times I just left it on. It's not hard, there's just no reason to. Now that Expo One has there bumper out with the swing out I really want to just trade up for that.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom