Rear speaker for a cover 73/74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Small favor to ask, my 73 does not have rear speakers. They from photos look like the factory 60-series speakers as well. Can anyone do me a favor and take a photo of the factory mounts or send me the measurements? If they are the same as a 60-series I might just steal a pair of those. I've been talking to the team over at @Cruiser Cult about installing a pair and they are working on a set of grill covers for the factory 60 speakers.

Hello,

This is the setup for rear speakers.
1301166A30220705W00244.jpg

1301166A30220705W00245.jpg

0503168A20220419G00312.jpg

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

A couple things I forgot.

Connectors are behind the rear panels. There is a place for an amplifier on the right side, near the rear wiper relay.

You may have to cut the door cards to fit the speakers as shown in the picture. I have not found the part numbers for the cards with the holes for the speakers, but I am sure they are out there somewhere.

The speakers and the parts for their mounts are available from Toyota.

Juan

Not to highjack the thread, but I need to replace my rear speakers (looks like the above photos).
Do you know if I need to find 24v speakers specifically or will any speakers of the same dimensions work?

Looks like the part number for stock speaker is 8616090K02 and it costs around $180/piece.

Thanks @JuanJ ! That is prefect. I think those are the same as the 60-series I had before, but just mounted in the doors.

Not to highjack the thread, but I need to replace my rear speakers (looks like the above photos).
Do you know if I need to find 24v speakers specifically or will any speakers of the same dimensions work?

Looks like the part number for stock speaker is 8616090K02 and it costs around $180/piece.
You dont need 24v specific speakers, any will do. To fit the factory mounts the size is more important.

That's a very good solution to the rear speaker issue that I'm having; I didn't know it was so easy to fit one in the door like that. I wonder if I could manage that with a shallow 8"...

That's a very good solution to the rear speaker issue that I'm having; I didn't know it was so easy to fit one in the door like that. I wonder if I could manage that with a shallow 8"...
My doors were hacked in the rear with a 6x9 turned the other way. I have a shallow 10” sub I just put in place but I still have a bit of work to do to get it sealed up. An 8” would be easier to mount.

Thanks @JuanJ ! That is prefect. I think those are the same as the 60-series I had before, but just mounted in the doors.

You dont need 24v specific speakers, any will do. To fit the factory mounts the size is more important.
Thanks! And would you happen to know if 6” or 6.5” would be the right fit? I measured the old speaker at 6.25” diameter.

Thanks! And would you happen to know if 6” or 6.5” would be the right fit? I measured the old speaker at 6.25” diameter.

Hello,

The speaker grill is 6 1/2 in. by 6 7/8 in.

A 6 1/4 in. should fit inside.

Juan

Finally getting around to looking at rear speakers. Does anyone know if there is a factory bracket that should be behind the card like the 60-series, or will they screw into the existing frame?

Best place in a 73 for optimal sound is 2 in the front door using the Aussie speaker pods combined with some mounted in the side cargo panels in front of the rear wheelwell where there is enough space for sound resonating . Afaik there where no 70 series rear oem speaker options at least not for the European market . Toyota just installed the 2 horrible small ones in the dash and that was it . The dealers then started cutting up door and other panels to mount some , rear doors do not provide good sound .

20170224_200146.jpg
20170224_200125.jpg

Finally getting around to looking at rear speakers. Does anyone know if there is a factory bracket that should be behind the card like the 60-series, or will they screw into the existing frame?
Hello,

They screw on the card. You may need to cut a hole on it.

There is an OEM bracket and mounting plate. You can get all the parts from Toyota.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom