Rear Sliding Window?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering buying a particular 80-series and everything is looking good, just working on a price. There's just one "problem" that's kind of eating at me...

It doesn't have sliding windows at the back. I really think I would miss that if I bought this truck. Now, there are plenty of 80's being parted out completely and most of them have the back windows that slide. How hard would it be to replace what would-be my windows, with those from another truck? I don't actually have the truck in front of me (i'm buying it cross-country) otherwise I would try to work it out myself. This could be a deal breaker for me :/

What year is it? Beowulf is the master of all things rear sliding windows but I've never seen an 80 without rear sliders. Is not a US spec one?

What year is it? Beowulf is the master of all things rear sliding windows but I've never seen an 80 without rear sliders. Is not a US spec one?

I was told that the rear sliding windows was part of the 3rd seat package. Kylebacc, if you're just using the back for gear I would think that the non-sliding windows would be fine. You wouldn't have to deal with the leakage that sliders are eventually prone to.

My guess is he got one from AUS and swapped it out. Thats kinda cool but personally I would prefer the accessibility.

I was told that the rear sliding windows was part of the 3rd seat package. Kylebacc, if you're just using the back for gear I would think that the non-sliding windows would be fine. You wouldn't have to deal with the leakage that sliders are eventually prone to.

I think we see things very differently haha I will be moving from a 4runner with the rear gate power window, and I NEVER use my AC. The more windows that can open, the better :D To each their own though.

Anyway, whether he did put these in or if it came like that, I sure as hell hope I can change it out. Otherwise, like I said, I don't think I will buy the truck :( Where is this Beowulf character, I'd love to hear his input!!

All things being equal, I think unless you have 3rd row in or animals, non sliders would work just as well off road. You can't open them on dirt roads because of the dust. And in the long run, you wouldn't be fighting the leaks. My .02

What you say makes so much sense...but I'm 19 and practicality is just not on my agenda lol I need my airflow :crybaby:

You can swap them out and I can pretty much guarantee there would be a few folks on this board willing to take them off your hands. :D

What you say makes so much sense...but I'm 19 and practicality is just not on my agenda lol I need my airflow :crybaby:

Yes, they're definitely great for ventilation! Where are you? If you decide to buy, maybe some nice, close, MUDDER
could swap their sliders for your non-sliders.

You can swap them out and I can pretty much guarantee there would be a few folks on this board willing to take them off your hands. :D

I would probably do that but I donno if I would let go of them. I guess it would depend on how much they were willing to give me for them. Because one day when the sliding ones do start leaking, and my eventual wife (yes I intend to keep it for that long) is bitching about the leaky windows and how I should get rid of the truck with half a million miles on it, I can just put them back in and tell her to shut the :censor: up hahaha keep cruisin' baby :steer:

I'm in Naples, FL I donno why my little thing doesn't say it... i'll go work it out now while i wait for beowulf to confirm the ability to swap them without tooooo much difficulty.

FWIW, I have almost 240k on my 97 LX and none of my side windows leak at all. Never have.

FWIW, I have almost 240k on my 97 LX and none of my side windows leak at all. Never have.

That's what I like to hear! Do you open them often (like, everytime you go anywhere) Or have they been in the same position for 240K Miles? No worries either way, just trying to get an idea.

That's what I like to hear! Do you open them often (like, everytime you go anywhere) Or have they been in the same position for 240K Miles? No worries either way, just trying to get an idea.

Well, let me throw a caveat out there. Its been garaged at home for all 12 of its years and garaged at work for all 12 of its years. BUT when I do go out and have fun and go for drives I use them all the time. Yes even in dusty conditions. But I'm also careful to keep my truck as clean as I can.

The leaking problem is NOT one that really gushes water. IIRC, it's more of a seeping down in to the areas below the windows and between the exterior and interior walls. In extreme cases, it can fill the jack compartment up and get the carpet wet back in the 3rd row area. Also causing some rust on inside of exterior wall when left unnoticed or neglected. I believe on later models with the cell phone antenna installed, it was more of a problem. I think if you search on this you can find the info.

Last edited:
well that's good news I can probably handle and fix a small leak like that with a little thinking. Now I just need to know whether these windows are easy to change out or not...

I believe on later models with the cell phone antenna installed, it was more of a problem. I think if you search on this you can find the info.

I remember reading that as well which was why I took mine out at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom