Rear Sill for 1977 FJ40... home made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen afew great examples of people who have made their own rear channels for earlier 40s, and they looks great to me. Coolerman and Jeff Zepp's were what I have mind, I guess... like so: http://www.rzeppa.org/tech/sill.htm

However, I have a 1977 with ambulance doors... which means that the sill should have a little step in the back for the doors to fit into. I have no idea how I'd go about making something like that.

Has anyone every made one of their own? or will I have to resign myself to buying one for a few hundred bucks.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

- Matt

PM sent

I too continue to ponder these "sill" issues (see my sill thread below) :hmm:.

Got some 2x2 1/8 inch wall tubing and I'm considering welding some kind of top piece to create the step - but there are other issues...

If I had access to a vertical mill it would help me make a decision in favor of "home made".

If I buy - I'm leaning toward a CCOT (2 pieces) ...

"dad" used to make his own, like mentioned, make the sill, then "add" to it. tack in place, then bit by bit, fill in welds, be sure to seal it up pretty good either with weld or seam sealer

Its another classic case of time vs $$. IMHO, I would go with purchasing the entire assembled unit from Real Steel Cruisers (Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 FJ45 Steel Body Parts).

It was a major time saver for me and my father, and allowed us to focus time and energy on other areas of need (and we all know there are many). :)

I used 2x2 tubing and welded a piece of 2 inch x 1/4 flat stock on the top off set to the appropriate distance for the doors. It gave it more strength and was a better fit for the mounts to the floor pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom