Rear Heat not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1998 Lx470 and the other day i had 8 people in there and they turned the rear heating on but for some reason the rear passenger side vent only blow cold air even if you change the heat all the way up. So the vents by the passenger seats and the seats all the way in the back all blow cold air :( i looked at all the fuses and all look fine. Is there something i am not doing right ? what could be the problem? thanks

This is probably the most obvious question. Did you make sure the heat selector on the rear consol was on hot? Just making sure you knew you can control the fan & temp from the rear.

In my short experience with my LX, it seems the overhead vents only cool and the floor vent only heats. Don't know if it's supposed to work like that????

Sounds correct to me.

well i did check the temp setting in the back and i did crank em up to 85 and even tried them in teh middle but the air comming out does not change at all it was still blowing cold.

Well i am not sure if the top vents are suppose to cool only? Is that written some where in the manual? Also there are no floor vents for the rear most seats? what happens there? they do have 3 top vents but no floor vents.

Last edited:
The floor only puts out heat, and the top vents only blow cold. I checked the owners manual after I thought the same thing.

now that is strange so the only reason to turn on the rear top controls is for cold air? How do people in the back seat get warm? from the vents on the dash?

The heat comes from under the seats. There is an additional fan under the driver's side seat that puts heat to the rear. You need to push the rear fan button at the bottom of the dash.

hkeller said:
The heat comes from under the seats. There is an additional fan under the driver's side seat that puts heat to the rear. You need to push the rear fan button at the bottom of the dash.
On my ’98 there is no way to control the tempture of the rear heat from the dash, only from the rear controls on the center console (next to the cup holders). If that doesn’t do it, I’d look into the heater core & check and make sure the door that allows cool air in is not stuck open. Also make sure you are getting hot water to the core.
DMX

well the rear heater uses the same heating core as the front one right? Bec my front is working jsut fine and well i think it does work like you guys said the heat from under the seats works just fine it heat up the car pretty fast dunno how effective it was on the back most seat i guess i will have to sit some one there to find that out :)

mrkool said:
well the rear heater uses the same heating core as the front one right?

No. There is a second heater core under the center console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom