Rear End Noise... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rutherfoto.com
OK. I have a noise I can't get to the bottom of.

When I come to stop, with in neutral or in gear, I hear a metallic "clinking and clunking'. It's a higher pitch noise, like something you'd expect from shot splines in you're d-shaft or something. I rarely hear it when accelerating form a stop. In addition, I put the 40 in 2-low, and idled in a tight circle, with my foot on the brake (chugging the engine) and I could reproduce the noise...

I recently changed all fluids: diff's, tranny, t-case...no signs of metal shavings, aside from the small metal sediment that collects on the magnetized drain plug.

I also dropped the d-shaft, and checked the splines (they were perfect) and all my U-joints (perfect as well) I also make sure the pinion bolts were tight. I also put the rear end up on stands, and looked for any abnormal play in the drive-line, or any unusual popping, clicking, grinding ect...everything seems to be working smoothly.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Should I drop the diff cover and inspect?

Thanks!

I am going with the little clips in the ebrake drum?

I have had a few of those come loose through the years and sound like that.

Did you check your pinion to see if it was loose?

Just guessing of course.

just re read the post- disregard my asking about the pinion.

Hmmmmm....I am taking notes.

Noise in the rear end.

Someone asks if you lubed the shafts?

You replied that you indeed lubed the requisite parts.

hmmm

Got a limited slip in the rear diff? I have had one that sounded like that because somebody forgot to put the friction modifier in there.

Got a limited slip in the rear diff? I have had one that sounded like that because somebody forgot to put the friction modifier in there.

no limited slip, but I do have an arb air locker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom