Rear Differential Identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

Anyone have any idea what kind of rear differential carrier this is? I took my 1980 FJ40 in to replace the rear axle seals and bearings (I don't have a garage to be able to try it myself at this time). The shop I took it to did not know how to access the C - Clips as they have never seen gears like this. They do not think it is OEM. I have the Toyota Service manual and gears do not appear to look like the picture in the FSM. They took a picture of the gears and I uploaded it. Any ideas on if it is stock or what make it is? (Sorry, that is the only picture they took.)

Thanks!

Rob
IMG_5035.jpg

Looks like a Torsen Limited Slip Differential.

Torsen-differential-labelled-700x394.jpg

It would be useful to find some identification or part numbers on it. It could be an old unit from a defunct company, something no longer produced, or a diff intended for a 12-bolt GM differential that has been modified to fit, or..?

Thanks for the lead's. I will have to open the diff and see what it looks like myself. Then try to figure out how to get the axle's out. It appears that the "spur gears" and "worm wheels" must be removed to be able to push in the axles to get at the C-Clips. PO must have updated the diff from OEM. Rear axle housing appears to be OEM.

If this is on a rear axle most likely has pressed on wheel bearings. I suggest you not try to open up the diff and find C clips. You will not find any. Read what ever you do do not take the worms gears about you will never get it back together. I has these in a coarse spline axles. There are Torsen diffs. Doing research on mine find people said they do not hold up well to over size tires. Mine do not tires bigger than 29" and ha e been fine.

It would be useful to find some identification or part numbers on it. It could be an old unit from a defunct company, something no longer produced, or a diff intended for a 12-bolt GM differential that has been modified to fit, or..?

Original company I'm sure has long been defunct.

Thanks for the lead's. I will have to open the diff and see what it looks like myself. Then try to figure out how to get the axle's out. It appears that the "spur gears" and "worm wheels" must be removed to be able to push in the axles to get at the C-Clips. PO must have updated the diff from OEM. Rear axle housing appears to be OEM.

Hopefully you haven't tried to take it apart. Need to pull the brake drums and see if it doesn't have a hub with a bearing inside mounted with the backing plate. The bearing is pressed on the inner axle. A ring is just inside the bearing that help keep the axle from ssliding out. My bearings were okay which was good because I was only able to source one bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom