Rear Cargo Area Water Leak - How I fixed it. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little corrosion on the mounting hardware that I took care of using some de-rust concoction from home depot. Since my brake light is warped/bowed pretty badly I am going to pull the trigger on the ebay offering below. I can't imagine its any more cheaply constructed than the part that Toyota makes for triple the price. Might try and find someone in Richmond to slap a real gasket on it. Thanks again for all the help, folks.

For Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 High Mount Third Brake Tail Light Lamp

A little corrosion on the mounting hardware that I took care of using some de-rust concoction from home depot. Since my brake light is warped/bowed pretty badly I am going to pull the trigger on the ebay offering below. I can't imagine its any more cheaply constructed than the part that Toyota makes for triple the price. Might try and find someone in Richmond to slap a real gasket on it. Thanks again for all the help, folks.

For Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 High Mount Third Brake Tail Light Lamp
Looks interesting and way more affordable. Post it up when you mount it, I think a few people would be interested to see how it works, I'd even order one as a backup.

You do not have to remove the spoiler. Just loosen it

My leak appears to be coming from inside the rear right panel. Thoughts? When I picked up the car the entire carpet front to back was damp as it had been sitting for 4 mos. Judging by the discoloration and dampness left it appears to be coming from right in that panel behind the compartment with the strap falling out of it. Haven't tested since I picked it up but will begin tomorrow! I have a 2000 LX and both top brake lights (one on whale tail and the other on the gate) should def be replaced but, judging from the localized area found, I'm already leaning to the rear pop window .

Pic #1

IMG_20181212_140210.jpg

Same here but on the left side for me! I actually grabbed the water hose and sprayed the left window and the water just pours right in. I'm guessing the fix is to just replace the weather stripping. I'll probably end up ordering both sides and tackling this weekend along with sealing the 3rd brake light as well.

I haven't checked that link yet thanks but... i ended up pulling up the rear cargo rug as well as the right side panel and just peering in could tell it was coming from the window from the discoloration.when I compared and wiggled both windows when they were open, it was clear the right side was loose and it was at the hinge where it meets the glass .one Philips and hopefully that will do it unlike the Pats defense .then the leak will keep going and will let everyone run right up the field

Last edited:
Same here but on the left side for me! I actually grabbed the water hose and sprayed the left window and the water just pours right in. I'm guessing the fix is to just replace the weather stripping. I'll probably end up ordering both sides and tackling this weekend along with sealing the 3rd brake light as well.

Hey Luis, did you end up doing this? I thought my issues was resolved by the third light and it def is NOT.

Hey Luis, did you end up doing this? I thought my issues was resolved by the third light and it def is NOT.

It wasnt eve thr weather stripping, but I did replace that as well. But the garnish trim underneath the window is the culprit. I just popped it off and sealed around the holes with FIPG and it hasn't leaked since.

Luis

I had the same problem with water leaking. I thought it was the third brake light so I taped it off and water tested it. I was still getting water. I also pulled the headliner to see if the rear sunroof drains were clogged but they were not.

I figured out that water was coming in under the gasket and trim on the side power windows. I removed the windows and pulled the black trim. I used some closed cell foam over the holes where the trim attaches. The OEM gaskets were pitiful. The trim attaches with those push clips. I made a hole in the closed cell double sided foam and the clip went right through. To me, this was an improvement over the OEM gaskets. I can't believe they haven't leaked before now. It fixed the water leak on the sides.

Little while later the leak returned. At this point I was lost. I pulled the third brake light and bought some 3M sealant to try and reseal the light. It was a TERRIBLE idea. The 3M stuff didn't hold and it was almost impossible to get off. In the end, I just bought the new light...184.00 and now the leak is fixed. If I had to do it over again, I would just buy the light and be done with it.

I also bought a new rear hatch gasket since that was the last thing I could think of that it could possibly be. If someone needs that gasket, I have one I can let go of. I think it was about 75.00.

Good luck.

This was my issue and it worked 100%. Thank you!

It wasnt eve thr weather stripping, but I did replace that as well. But the garnish trim underneath the window is the culprit. I just popped it off and sealed around the holes with FIPG and it hasn't leaked since.

Luis
Thanks! I sealed my third brake light and am still having a leak.

Can you post a picture of - “But the garnish trim underneath the window is the culprit. I just popped it off and sealed around the holes with FIPG and it hasn't leaked since”

Would like to address this area before I order a new rear lift gate seal.

Thank you!

Just fixing OPs broken picture links...

(The last time I did this procedure, I found this thread helpful. I’m getting ready to do it again, and figured that I’d skim back through this thread, but this time all of the pictures were “broken”)

1610820353910.png

1610820381979.png

1610820428601.png

1610820465316.png

1610820508063.png

Last edited:
1610820617011.png

1610820642996.png

1610820676356.png

1610820706503.png

1610820737940.png

1610820776485.png