Rear Brake Pad Walkthrough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rear pads

I was thinking of ordering a front and rear 100 series pad set. Anyone know if the rear 100 pads will fit into the 80 rear caliper? If not, I will just order the front 100 series pads.

I was thinking of ordering a front and rear 100 series pad set. Anyone know if the rear 100 pads will fit into the 80 rear caliper? If not, I will just order the front 100 series pads.

I don't think so.

Riley,
Don't forget to check the parking brake pads as well. You'll need to remove the rotors. They can be a pain if they've frozen onto the axle stem. Those pads might be worn enough to be dragging metal to metal. This will also allow you to check the parking brake mechanism and make sure its moving freely. They tend to corrode and lock up on these vehicles.

Riley,
Don't forget to check the parking brake pads as well. You'll need to remove the rotors. They can be a pain if they've frozen onto the axle stem. Those pads might be worn enough to be dragging metal to metal. This will also allow you to check the parking brake mechanism and make sure its moving freely. They tend to corrode and lock up on these vehicles.

As mentioned before, check the obvious first. I found that the passenger side front, inboard side brake pad wear sensor was the culprit :doh:. I had that tire off about a month earlier and it really did not look like sensor was dragging.

Slinger, I do need to check my e-brake but was waiting until I did the rear axle service.

Thanks again for all of the ideas. I started another thread about the metallic sound and quite a few suggested to check the obvious things first.

Riley

Rear Brake job:

Now that was easy...yesturday while out and about I noticed a lite grinding noisecoming from my vehicle...not sure at first what it was I pull over to inspect the front and rear brakes...sure enough the rear rotors were slightly scarred. I decide to stop by the local Toyota dealer to see if they could replace everything quickly while I waited...the lady quoted me $570.00 (rear only), I said "what"!!! so thinking I'm totally getting ripped off I took it overto the local brake shop...the guy pulls the tires off and looks...he says I need new rotors, calipers, and and its extra to fix it in one hour...total cost $635.00

Ok so back to the beginning...I'm not one to pay money for something I can do myself...so I take vehicle back to the house and park the LC in the driveway. I begin pulling everything apart...but not before I read at least three or four post from MUD to refresh my memory. I get the rear rotors out and down to the local autozone for resurfacing @ $9 each. The rotors were in great shape and were within spec... next a set of Raybestos premium brakes with anti-noise $34.50...I clean everything up before installation (w/brake cleaner), check e-brakes (good), Lube and grease bolts and fittings (Lithium) Job finished!!!!

Total cost $57.35 and three hours of my time

I saved over $500 bucks...

congrats and good job...

not sure about the need for the double post...but whatever...

:D

What did you guys use to glue the anti-squeal shims back onto the back side of the pad?
Not glue, grease. Use some MP grease, just a light coat, and do NOT get any on the pad surface when you do this.
Brakes + Grease = No stopping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom