rear axle seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(2000 w/265k) i had bearings replaced about 4 months ago and obviously they also replaced the seals at my local T dealer. I started smelling
that smell of burning gear oil about 1 week after the service. Well, i though it was just left over from the job on the outside and would burn off. It never did burn off
and stayed consistent so I took it back and they said "yep its leaking" and did it again at no charge. Now same thing what in the actual hell. Any ideas? The truck rides smooth like never before but
just dont know if i am driving a ticking time bomb and my rear is going to lock up on me. Also there is no visible signs on driveway of any leaks just a smell when it is driven.

(2000 w/265k) i had bearings replaced about 4 months ago and obviously they also replaced the seals at my local T dealer. I started smelling
that smell of burning gear oil about 1 week after the service. Well, i though it was just left over from the job on the outside and would burn off. It never did burn off
and stayed consistent so I took it back and they said "yep its leaking" and did it again at no charge. Now same thing what in the actual hell. Any ideas? The truck rides smooth like never before but
just dont know if i am driving a ticking time bomb and my rear is going to lock up on me. Also there is no visible signs on driveway of any leaks just a smell when it is driven.
Quick and easy check is the breather tube. Is it pinched, corroded, working 100%? If pressure builds due to heat, there must be breathing room for the fluid or it comes out the seals. A rusty or kinked breather can cause this in my personal experience. I’ve also seen threads addressing exactly what has happened to you, twice in a row. I’m sure you’ll be able to find it with some searching, but from memory, I think it depended on the depth the seal was installed but others will know that information much better than I.

These newer toyota trucks have ABS ring and then a retainer. the oil seal runs on this retainer (I know this as I have done the axle seals on a 3rd gen 4runner, successfully). If the retainer is not properly mounted (must measure by doing a sharpie test introduced by Timmy the tool man for 3rd gen 4runners: A Youtube video is available), the the seal may not mount right in the middle of the retainer and will leak oil. It is simple, job, but many don't know how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom