Rear Axle Housing Rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All- Put an OME 2.5 inch Med/Heavy kit in my '74. Working on a 4-wheel disc conversion now and noticed the whole axle housing is rotated maybe 5-10 degrees. Is this an issue? Guess it would help drive shaft angle, but change suspension geometry. Should be as easy as loosening housing U-bolts adjusting"flat" and tightening.

Thoughts?
THX,
LR

You can't loosen the U-bolts and rotate the axle housing (unless somehow the perches aren't welded). You should start with a protractor to determine what the pinion angle and t-case output angle are to determine an appropriate plan of attack. It may be as simple as installing shims and new u-bolts. A few pictures would help.
To answer your first question, yes an incorrect pinion angle can cause a number of potentially harmful conditions, including vibrations and pinion and drive line failure.

Last edited:
Is the rest of the drive train stock?

Yes everything else is stock. Yes forgot that perches dictate angle. Gotta think this was accounted for when OME designed this vehicle specific suspension.

I just noticed that the studs on the end of the axle housing were not straight...although I don't know that they ever were...

It's only a 2 inch lift and only because of that's what results from the new suspension. Lift wasn't really the selling point, - good or better ride was

Determine your drive line angles and use shims to correct it.

You will need one of these magnetic angle finders from Lowes for about $5.00
full

to calculate this

full

by adding shims on the spring packs thus rotating the third member to the desired angle.

I hope this helps.

You will need to buy some steel shims once you figure out the correction angles.

full

Stock shackles, too?

Pictures and a diagram, doesn't get much better (except someone else doing the work).

Make sure while measuring the drive line angles the vehicle is sitting on flat level ground otherwise the angle findings will not be accurate.

Here's my write up on the subject: Expert Advice Needed for Drive Line Angle Shims
Thanks to all!

If I get driveline noise, I'll consider shims. Until then I'll enjoy... after I get the fourth brake rotor that was not milled out for the JT outfitters 4 disc kit...

Joe is good people, but having to wait on a QC issue is frustrating

Cheers,
LR

Thanks to all!

If I get driveline noise, I'll consider shims. Until then I'll enjoy... after I get the fourth brake rotor that was not milled out for the JT outfitters 4 disc kit...

Joe is good people, but having to wait on a QC issue is frustrating

Cheers,
LR

Please note if your drive line angles are not correct/equal then expect premature wear on the U-Joints, vibration and audible noise is a secondary issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom