Rear axle breather clogged? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed that the top of the rear axle appears greasy. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there is what appears to be a breather tube - a rubber hose with a clamp on it, which goes for about a foot and has a nipple at the end. The grease seems to have spewed out of the port where the hose sits on the axle. The metal clamp is quite loose and is easily squeezed, and the hose rotates freely.

I am wondering if there is any info on what diameter hose this is, where can I get a replacement breather for it, and what's the proper way to check, add, and/or replace the axle fluid.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A little fluid around that breather is probably fine but if it looks worn out you should replace it like you mentioned.

I am not sure of the size of hose, if possible just remove it and bring it to local parts store.

Replace the breather as well if you are planning on getting back to new
> Part number 9093003098

For your fluid levels, if you look at the rear differential you will see two plugs, one at the bottom right ( drain ) and one in the center / mid ( fill / check )
>> The fill plug should be removed carefully as to not damage the head of that bolt. Fluid should flow out of that when the plug is removed. If fluid is not flowing top off with 75w90 oil.

Replace gasket after checking fill
> part number 12157-10010

E.P. gear lubes generate gas as they do their thing. Enough gas to generate some pressure in a closed system. Differentials are vented for this reason.

Roger that, makes sense. I recently drove it on the beach for a while, and a few days later noticed the leaky rear axle breather vent, and a pin hole leak in the transmission line. Must have built up some pressure everywhere!

A little fluid around that breather is probably fine but if it looks worn out you should replace it like you mentioned.

I am not sure of the size of hose, if possible just remove it and bring it to local parts store.

Replace the breather as well if you are planning on getting back to new
> Part number 9093003098

For your fluid levels, if you look at the rear differential you will see two plugs, one at the bottom right ( drain ) and one in the center / mid ( fill / check )
>> The fill plug should be removed carefully as to not damage the head of that bolt. Fluid should flow out of that when the plug is removed. If fluid is not flowing top off with 75w90 oil.

Replace gasket after checking fill
> part number 12157-10010

Tip: ALWAYS remove the fill port first to be sure you can refill. Only then touch the drain plug.

(Please do not ask me how I know. :D )

Roger that, makes sense. I recently drove it on the beach for a while, and a few days later noticed the leaky rear axle breather vent, and a pin hole leak in the transmission line. Must have built up some pressure everywhere!
The pin hole leak in your transmission line is something to be concerned about, but doesn't necessarily relate to pressure. The fluid around the breather is normal, but worth replacing just for the hell of it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom