Rear and front diff locks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across this video on youtube that claims that the LC300 will have rear and front diff locks (link). This is huge if true.

That being said, I have not seen buttons corresponding to the front/rear diff locks in the interior pictures or videos of the LC300 that have been posted so far. Perhaps it's based on the trim?

What is standard in one model, should be retrofitted without much trouble to the others, based on skill set of course. Mr T has a nice habit of standardizing his wiring looms. Should mean that all the connections are there to install factory lockers, as well as their lights and switches.

What is standard in one model, should be retrofitted without much trouble to the others, based on skill set of course. Mr T has a nice habit of standardizing his wiring looms. Should mean that all the connections are there to install factory lockers, as well as their lights and switches.

This actually might not be the case moving forward with the TNGA platform. I am finding significant differences already between the models/grades in the new parts catalog. Even the PNC numbers have changed radically.

It seems that rear diff lock is an option on non GR-S versions. We'll just have to wait till the official 300 series brochure comes out.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 17.28.35.png

This actually might not be the case moving forward with the TNGA platform. I am finding significant differences already between the models/grades in the new parts catalog. Even the PNC numbers have changed radically.
That is sad news. I’m not familiar with the TNGA acronym save from that it has been on the forum much more as of late.

Yes, it seems that every new generation, Toyota builds in even more road blocks that prevent easy parts swapping/upgrading. From design all the way down to part numbers... This is not to say we can't do it, but it may be more involved and require extra research.

Toyota New Global Architecture
Thanks. I just watched the video posted about the similarities between the 2023 Sequoia and LC300. He explained the TNGA there quite well. Will be interesting to see what happens. From a parts perspective, it’ll make things easier for people getting spares in developing countries where they don’t stock $1 million in auto spares. If those 3 models, and even 4 runner/Hilux/Tacoma share enough parts, I can see some major benefits. This is one of the chief reasons I refuse to import a US market Toyota into Africa. I cannot get spares easily enough. This could change that.

It seems that rear diff lock is an option on non GR-S versions. We'll just have to wait till the official 300 series brochure comes out.
It was an option in some markets for the 200 until 2018 I believe. I've seen it on a 2016 model 200 series

It was an option in some markets for the 200 until 2018 I believe. I've seen it on a 2016 model 200 series
Yeah, I believe it was only an option on the 200-series with the 1GR V6.
It seems now that a rear diff lock will be an option on the twin turbo engines on the higher trim (non GR-S) models.

Yeah, I believe it was only an option on the 200-series with the 1GR V6.
It seems now that a rear diff lock will be an option on the twin turbo engines on the higher trim (non GR-S) models.
The bare bones specs 200-series with the 1GR v6 had it (and no crawl control). The one I saw equipped with a rear locker was on a 2016 lc200 with the 4.6 v8 1UR-FE which is the most common trim sold for land cruisers in the middle east. Unfortunately, the 5.7l land cruiser did not have rear diff locks.

Crawl control and other gizmos are nice, but I am really glad toyota is finally going back to mechanical lockers.

Last edited:
These are the three trims for the UAE on the 3.5L twin turbo. Note that the EXR and GXR come with center and rear diffs, whereas the VXR comes with a torsen LSD (and I presume a center diff lock as well). I'm curious about the other markets. Paying a premium only to get the LSD instead of a locker seems subpar.

lc.jpeg

These are the three trims for the UAE on the 3.5L twin turbo. Note that the EXR and GXR come with center and rear diffs, whereas the VXR comes with a torsen LSD (and I presume a center diff lock as well). I'm curious about the other markets. Paying a premium only to get the LSD instead of a locker seems subpar.
VXR has always been the more city-oriented version so the LSD would provide better overall handling than an open-diff. Rear lockers are usually in more off-road oriented models. Yes all models have center diffs as standard.

in the LC200, you can get a GXR with a rear-lcoker (pre-2018), but VXR never had rear lockers.

VXR has always been the more city-oriented version so the LSD would provide better overall handling than an open-diff. Rear lockers are usually in more off-road oriented models. Yes all models have center diffs as standard.

in the LC200, you can get a GXR with a rear-lcoker (pre-2018), but VXR never had rear lockers.
Is the LSD mutually exclusive with a rear diff lock? And in what way is handling better than an open diff out of curiosity? The Nissan Patrol seems quite popular in the UAE, and they all come with rear lockers as far as I'm aware.

I wonder if the UAE/Gulf market is getting the LC300 GR-S model with the 3 diff locks.

Is the LSD mutually exclusive with a rear diff lock? And in what way is handling better than an open diff out of curiosity? The Nissan Patrol seems quite popular in the UAE, and they all come with rear lockers as far as I'm aware.

I wonder if the UAE/Gulf market is getting the LC300 GR-S model with the 3 diff locks.
Mechanical Rear lockers & mechanical LSDs are mutually exclusive as the differential internals are different. Some examples, such as the 2009+ Tacomas had auto-LSDs which are essentially ECU/ brake operated (i.e. fancy traction control) open diffs - so you can add mechanical diff lockers in this particular case.

The VXR rear torque sensing limited slip differential is a step above open diffs in managing torque split when you have low traction surfaces (i.e. gravel, snow, rain, sandy road... etc.) where you cannot use diff lockers. Off-road, LSD beats open diffs, but diff lockers are best.

I believe UAE/ Gulf market is getting LC300 GR-S models later this year which has the 3 diff locks.

Mechanical Rear lockers & mechanical LSDs are mutually exclusive as the differential internals are different.
I was looking up the Toyota LC200 website: 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Features - https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/landcruiser-features/ and they mention in the Capability section:

1624276821676.png

So it seems that the are able to have a Torsen center diff as well as a physical locker. In this case, I am inclined to believe that the rear diff in the LC300 VXR is an open diff, perhaps not dissimilar from the LC200 VXR. Which means that it's a cost saving measure not to equip the VXR with a rear locker.

I was looking up the Toyota LC200 website: 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Features - https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/landcruiser-features/ and they mention in the Capability section:

View attachment 2709795

So it seems that the are able to have a Torsen center diff as well as a physical locker. In this case, I am inclined to believe that the rear diff in the LC300 VXR is an open diff, perhaps not dissimilar from the LC200 VXR. Which means that it's a cost saving measure not to equip the VXR with a rear locker.
The described torsen center diff with locking is standard in all cruisers, even older models.

The spec sheet you quoted in the beginning is a little misleading, since I can't tell for sure if they mean "torque sensing LSD" for the rear or center diff only.

It seems the front and rear locker can be optioned on the VX-R.

At 7:25 you can clearly see front + rear locker button.
Although it seems this VX-R is equipped with the 4.0 V6 (1GR).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom