Real time help - New primer pump leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
have to be quick as lunch is over... Just installed a new primer pump in MooseCruisers 3B diesel... it is leaking at the threads, new crush washer installed... Need to fix this ASAP so he can get home - any thoughts?

Thanks.

Some of the supplied washers are a poor fit, check it and re-tighten.

A tiny piece of dirt will also cause leaks, clean the washer and try again.

~JOhn

???????????????
all the gas pedal does is open the throttle. Do you mean to do that with the engine running?

what you indicated is an injector line.

This makes zero sense to me.

cheers,
J

Will play with the crush washer - also thinking of attempting an o-ring... any downsides to that?

i would just suggest removing the primer pump all together and put in a bolt

No way!!!!!

A plastic valve stem pokes up into the underside of the primer pump and you'd destroy that by fitting a bolt! (And without that valve being able to pop-up-and-down correctly - your engine-operated fuel pump would cease to work too.)

crushwasher.JPG

I'd remove the new primer pump and find out what you did wrong. (Or whether the new primer and/or washer is faulty.)

I don't think an O-ring would be satisfactory and I'd be reluctant to use thread seal tape (even as a temporary measure) in case any enters the fuel circuit and harms the operation of those two non-return/check valves.

:cheers:

PS. I agree with John about the poor fit of some washers. I had that experience with a brand-new $50 primer pump and I ended up trashing that new pump as well as its washer (because the pump leaked diesel whenever I operated it). I then cut the pump open to confirm its poor manufacturing standards. And I now use a Bosch pump that was supplied with a correctly-fitting washer and doesn't leak.
crushwasher.JPG

Last edited:
No way!!!!!

A plastic valve stem pokes up into the underside of the primer pump and you'd destroy that by fitting a bolt! (And without that valve being able to pop-up-and-down correctly - your engine-operated fuel pump would cease to work too.)

View attachment 298304

ok, well then how do you explain this, and it all works prefect never had a problem with it
DSC02521(1).jpg

No way!!!!!

View attachment 298304

ok, well then how do you explain this, and it all works prefect never had a problem with it

Well I don't think they can be ordinary "bolts".

I suspect they must be "special plugs" with "recesses" machined into their undersides to accomodate the springs and stems belonging to the non-return/check valves.

lol no there not ordinary bolts, i should have specified.

and its the exact same bolt on the left side of where the primer pump would go

lol no there not ordinary bolts, i should have specified.

and its the exact same bolt on the left side of where the primer pump would go

Ahhhhhh. Well........Errrrrrrrrrrr. :hmm:

You do have an inline-type of injector pump on that 3B don't you?

Because if it is the rotary-type, then I believe your fuel pump is inside your injector pump rather than being inside that housing where you have those BOLTS.

(And the absence of a fuel pump is the only explanation I can think of for why you don't have those springs and valves!)

:cheers:

PS. I find it easy to fall into the trap of assuming we are dealing with similar engines when we aren't. One 3B definitely isn't always the same as another!

Some very well meant advice: If someone needs real-time help fast, please try to give complete and correct information, or none at all.
:beer:
Jan

???????????

I think we're ALL trying help here Jan :frown:

(And I'm learning stuff from all the input here.)

???????????

I think we're ALL trying help here Jan :frown:

(And I'm learning stuff from all the input here.)

Yes, I know and agree. And I definitely know first hand how much one can learn from mistakes. I meant this in the best way possible, as constructive criticism. I think it can be a real problem for someone seeking help in a real time situation to get advice that is not clear or untrue. much better to add a qualifier. If the guy starting this thread had just put a bolt in the hole of the primer pump, disconnected the injector and pumped the throttle, he would have made the problem worse in a real time situation.

Again, I am not trying to be an ass and apologize to scoutcanadian if I came across that way.

cheers,
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom