Real time axle help, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everytime I have pulled a rear 60 diff or replaced a rear semi float 60 shaft I have had to tap it into place with a lead shot filled mallet to get it to seat fully in the splines and slide into the outer bearing and seal.

Still not cooperating? Man, what is going on?

As for the shaft clearancing, we have run across this just a few isolated scenarios. ARB even put out a bulletin on the Toyota shafts as they are notorious for having some odd clearance/machining at the diff side. I suspect it’s a combination of a slightly lower bevel carrier and a slightly ”excessive” material shaft.

View attachment 2420889

As for why they won’t go in now? I can only assume a bent housing but as @Steamer mentioned, some require a fair but of muscle to get them to drive in. Remind me did you change anything at the outside end such as bearings or seals?
I was convinced there was a clearance issue with the axles and maybe there was. I painted the bevel and found some knicks in the paint where I assumed it was hitting. Maybe that happened somewhere inside the axle housing and wasn’t hitting the carrier?

After having the axles turned down and still no go I assumed it was the bearing or the seals. I sourced a pair from oreilys. National repackages koyos for the Toyota. Turns out they’re identical in every way.

So I pulled the seal and it still got caught on something. So I pulled the bearings and it still came up short in the side gear. Then I realized it was hanging on the dust shield so once I fenagled that into place the splines went far enough to accept the c clip.

I then installed a new bearing and seal and pushed the axle in as far as I could by hand. I reached down and dropped my panties and whacked that axle into place with a block of wood and a 5lb hammer. I just let it swing like a pendulum with no extra force and they slipped in little by little.

I then balanced the c clip on the top half of the shaft in the groove, attached an axle puller to the slide hammer, attached that to the lugs , and pulled the axle back out and into place.

When installing the spiders and pinion spacer I had to tap the spacer in with an aluminum seal tool and everything went together nice and tight!

I gotta say, you guys know your stuff and I’m eternally grateful for the knowledge and willingness to help!

Thanks to Kurt and Bryce at Cruiser Outfitters for the awesome communication and help getting things sorted out! Lift kit is next up in the cards I believe.

Glad you got it together. Kurt's service bulletin was also interesting. Always learning something new about these trucks.

Great! Mission completed. Would have been nice to measure the housing for roundness when the bearings were out but hey, it’s back together now. Congrats!

Great! Mission completed. Would have been nice to measure the housing for roundness when the bearings were out but hey, it’s back together now. Congrats!
I did that actually. And it was perfectly in round. Yeah, I know. Head scratcher...

I did that actually. And it was perfectly in round. Yeah, I know. Head scratcher...
Wow! I was really confident it would've been out. Guess you don't owe me that beer now lol. Still a scratcher.

when I was a shop technician I would have these situations that cost me a lot of anxiety and stress. Irritates the hell out of me why can't Automotive manufacturers make parts that are not too difficult to remove. It's rare that I've ever had a head gasket failure when I did a new head gasket on a vehicle. One day I did a head gasket change on a Chevrolet V6 engine. I think it was the 3.4 but it's been so long I can't recall. I promised myself that once the heads were on and the cooling system was sealed I would never install any other parts and do a pressure test on the cooling system. Well this Chevrolet failed the coolant pressure test and was leaking between the head gasket and the head on the inside. I was so angry that I ripped off the intake and remove the heads within 2 hours. I was completely exhausted. I think It Happened One More Time and I believe we did have the heads Foursquare and flatness. I'm glad you got over your situation and it was not your primary vehicle!

when I was a shop technician I would have these situations that cost me a lot of anxiety and stress. Irritates the hell out of me why can't Automotive manufacturers make parts that are not too difficult to remove. It's rare that I've ever had a head gasket failure when I did a new head gasket on a vehicle. One day I did a head gasket change on a Chevrolet V6 engine. I think it was the 3.4 but it's been so long I can't recall. I promised myself that once the heads were on and the cooling system was sealed I would never install any other parts and do a pressure test on the cooling system. Well this Chevrolet failed the coolant pressure test and was leaking between the head gasket and the head on the inside. I was so angry that I ripped off the intake and remove the heads within 2 hours. I was completely exhausted. I think It Happened One More Time and I believe we did have the heads Foursquare and flatness. I'm glad you got over your situation and it was not your primary vehicle!
What a PITA?! I’ve not had to do a head gasket... yet... can’t imagine doing all that work and having it blow out immediately.

By the way, the cruiser is my primary vehicle. And I’m currently living in it while I’m in between leases. I thought, two diffs and a knuckle job... should be a one weekend kinda deal... the knuckles went fast cuz it’s my third time doing it. But that axle hang up threw me for a loop.

Luckily my best friend from high school let me park around the corner and use his garage for some things. He and his wife are also top notch chefs each with $75,000 culinary degrees. I was not hungry. Just gotta help him with some work on his Miata.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom