Rattling sound from engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When the LC is in drive - after it’s run for maybe 5 minutes - and the break is applied and stopped - the engine cover vibrates enough that it rattles against the engine. Not always and not consistently. If the LC is allowed to coast forward the rattling stops.
Put it in park - the vibration goes away.
Now today I actually heard the rattling while moving.
The motor mounts have been replaced.
LC seems to run ok without any other concerns.
Any ideas???

Remove & discard engine cover.
That would certainly resolve the rattle. ;)
But I’m afraid that would be a bandaid and allow a cancer to spread

That would certainly resolve the rattle. ;)
But I’m afraid that would be a bandaid and allow a cancer to spread
Nah, chuck it. More info here:

I checked that thread - ya or nay. Very interesting- thanks for that heads up. I’m looking into discarding my cover.

I checked that thread - ya or nay. Very interesting- thanks for that heads up. I’m looking into discarding my cover.
I may be wrong but didn't these covers used to have foam pieces under them? It sounds like you narrowed it down to being the cover so If you like keeping stuff original you can probably just quiet it down. Mine rattles on the front side right near the oil fill. I opt'd to keep mine, rattles don't bother me as much if I know where they are coming from and if it's not hurting anything.

Call me crazy but I like to think the cover serves a few purposes. When water is splashing up through wheel wells, it helps deflect and keep water from getting into the V of the motor. Same goes for when I hose this pig down, I hit the entire engine bay, cover helps keep water out of the V. Gives it a nice clean finish as well.

Man, I guess I've been lucky. Mine only has one screw holding it on and it still doesn't rattle. The one on my wife's car rattles like crazy though. Stupid Mercedes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom