Rational thoughts and input on decision, please! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You keep bringing up more questions than answers! The stopping distance is very impressive, and so is the bravery to do it side by side on a normal road. But I don't understand how the tow truck doesn't have any rear end lift or front end dive? The tow truck is rocksteady and level throughout. But it is impressive that they stop so well.

Hah. It does look impressive doesn't it?

Too bad the vid doesn't comment on configuration and setup details. But I do think the stability is due largely to good WD adjustment. With enough WD adjustment, the front axle is already pre-loaded and planted. With an emergency stop like that, the camper naturally will shift weight forward onto the hitch ball. This would have the effect of lifting the front axle about the rear axle, negating brake dive at the front axle.

I think part of the issue is the front axle to rear axle spring rate mismatch, when using too much airbag to level. Hence my comment earlier. It's only a theory though as I've not used bags myself.

I've had to jump on my brakes on at least a couple occasions. It feels stable without any significant forward pitching. Though I've never done a full blown ABS stop from 60mph to a stop like the vid.

I'm waiting for a pricing email from the US distributor for this kit:

Lovells Suspension - For The Ride of Your Life - Company Profile - Products: GVM Upgrades - Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series

Lovells Suspension - For The Ride of Your Life - Company Profile - Products:GVM Upgrades

It increases the paylod of the LC by 500 kg (1,102 lbs.) and is certified by the Australian version of DOT. It is not certified by US DOT but would put me at ease.

For those in the know, is there a cheaper way to get the same result? I'm assuming this kit will be $$$ since they don't stock it here. The US rep made it clear that I'd be using it at my discretion. He said he'd price it for me and let me know.

I might be more comfortable going over the numbers slightly by doing something like this and doing the 4.88s.

I also got some good hitch adjustment advice from TeCKis300 which I will look into the next time I can get to the trailer (it's in storage).

FYI I got ahold of Lovell’s and the GVM upgrade with 2” lift spring rate specs are as follows:

Front: TFR-121 – 675lbs/inch
Rear: TRR-122HD – 320lbs/inch

The factory specs I believe are 500# front, 170# rear.

So if you interested in pushing the 3800kg limit of the GVM upgrade and are in the US, it’s reasonable to assume that other manufacturer suspensions with similar specs would also be capable of the increased load. Of course in the US the GVWR and GAWR are only set at manufacture time, so officially those numbers would still not be increased.

I've pretty much decided to sell the LC and buy a Ram 2500 with the Cummins. The AEV 3" lift lets you go up to 40" tires and retain stock geometry. Payload lets you throw in bikes, canoe, kitchen sink...

Honestly as long as you don’t kneed the off road ability of the LC I think you’ll be happy with a 3/4 ton.

For anyone curious, I got an email this morning from the Lovells distributor:

“Good Morning...My apologies for the delay...it was a holiday weekend in Australia. Unfortunately Lovells doesnt have the product on the shelf at this time. The kit should be available to ship Early June. The Kit includes uncertified F&R Springs and Shocks. Your cost is $1184.00 plus $100 shipping via DHL to any US or Canadian address. If you wish to proceed I can send you a PayPal invoice.”

Last edited:
TBH, I'm not too concerned about the ability off road - the LC has always been a daily driver so we've been doing trails that don't put it at too much risk, nothing an AEV Ram can't handle.

The big concern, really the only concern, is the lack of a 3rd row and the comfort of the kids. I'm torn between the megacab and the crew cab. The megacab would be more comfortable for them but the extra foot of wheelbase on an already long vehicle would suck for daily driving and trails. I like the crewcab more for the latter reasons and just because it's visually more proportional.

I've pretty much decided to sell the LC and buy a Ram 2500 with the Cummins. The AEV 3" lift lets you go up to 40" tires and retain stock geometry. Payload lets you throw in bikes, canoe, kitchen sink...

Can't argue with this. The Ram will certainly take care of any concern you had with the LC capacities. Just don't forget to come back and do a show and tell. Those suckers are beastly on another level, if you don't mind, or want the size.

prospector.jpg

American Expedition Vehicles - Prospector XL

Okay, the original question has been resolved so I have a new question, how come boat trailers rarely have WD hitches? Lower COG? Better balance causes lower hitch weight?

Okay, the original question has been resolved so I have a new question, how come boat trailers rarely have WD hitches? Lower COG? Better balance causes lower hitch weight?

I noticed that too. I think two things work to their advantage that are fundamentally due to their center of mass being much more rearward.
1) Tongue weights are much lighter
2) Trailer axles set way further back, with less overhang past the rear trailer axle.

They are more stable for the reasons above, but also because the aerodynamic forces acting on it are more even along sides and closer to the center of mass, rather than a brick wall at the leading edge of a travel trailer.

Less tongue weight, mainly.

Here’s the show...

938C8153-D49F-4F75-9C6C-2EB018777712.jpeg

C2CFB509-6550-483E-9F06-050702134D93.jpeg

2CFC50B4-25FA-432D-96E5-C94FA06ABC01.jpeg

And here's the tell:

2018 Ram 2500 MegaCab 4x4
6.7 Cummins Diesel
AEV 3" Dualsport Suspension Lift
AEV 17" Salta HD Wheels
37" Toyo RTs
ARB Twin Compressor On-Board Air (CKMTA12/24)
Snugtop XV shell (Sportsman Package, Yakima rack, pet screens, fishing rod holders, clothes hanger, 12V light, flip down window with slider, keyless entry, and USB chargers)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom