Random Stalling Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So have a weird stalling issue that has come about recently on my stock 2F with no modifications. I will have no issues with starting and the issue will happen sometimes when the engine is cold, but also when it is warm.

What happens is I will be driving and when I put in the clutch to come to a stop sign or light, the RPM’s will plummet and the engine dies. No issue doing a restart while I am still rolling. Never happens when the clutch is out and the engine is under power. Pulling the choke also solves the issue and keeps the engine going.

Again this is not always the case. I have redone a bunch of vacuum lines and I know they are right as I went off the emissions manual and took my time with them.

Any other thoughts on what may cause this issue and how a not super mechanically savvy guy like myself may be able to diagnose the problem?

Hook up a vacuum gauge in the cab so you can see the vacuum while driving. You could use a hand vacuum gauge just propped up somewhere with its vacuum hose snaked into the engine compartment.
(That’s what I used to use)
See what it does the next time the engine stalls. If the vacuum goes to crap right before the engine conks out, maybe the EGR valve is sometimes sticking open.
Everyone with an FJ60 should have a vacuum gauge installed inside the cab

Hook up a vacuum gauge in the cab so you can see the vacuum while driving. You could use a hand vacuum gauge just propped up somewhere with its vacuum hose snaked into the engine compartment.
(That’s what I used to use)
See what it does the next time the engine stalls. If the vacuum goes to crap right before the engine conks out, maybe the EGR valve is sometimes sticking open.
Everyone with an FJ60 should have a vacuum gauge installed inside the cab
So do you hook it up to a particular port or inline with one of the vacuum hoses coming from the EGR?

The rear of the intake manifold has the fitting that the brake booster hose connects to. That fitting also has a small pipe that fits the ubiquitous smaller vacuum tubing. The tube that’s in there now is just used for AC idle up, so you can pull the small vacuum hose & set it aside and connect your vacuum gauge to that spot.

Get a vacuum gauge that can pull vacuum and using the 2f emissions control manual test the egr and egr modulator. I believe a download can be found in the "resources" section at the top of the page. Clogged vacuum passages, stuck EGR valve due to carbon build up, misrouted or loose lines, and bad diaphragms can cause EGR failure.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. The intermittent issue has me frustrated. Drove it twice around town today and it drove like a dream.

Went through this same sort of thing with mine. Worked fine with choke out but when just idling normal it would randomly die when coming to a stop. My issue was bad grounds on the Emissions computer for the ICS. Reflowed the solder on my EC and its been right as rain since. Was intermittent and frustrating to try and chase down. I never really could get the ICS to fail in the garage. But if I drove the truck it would die after coming to a stop intermittently. Mine also would buck while at speed so that's a little different than what you are saying for your situation but gave me a clue as to what might be going on. Not sure this is your issue but another idea. Get that vacuum gauge and start from there to see what might be going on.

Interesting video (at least to me) illustrating the relationship between the ICS, EC, and engine vacuum. Notice the in cab vacuum gauge:

Again, not sure this is your issue but thought I would include it here having gone down a similar path. Maybe another route to try if vacuum checks out. HTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom