Ramsey 8.5e (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend has graciously offer to give me a Ramsey 8.5e winch that he's got sitting around and not using. It's in working order with the exception of a bad solenoid that keeps it from reversing. Anyone know anything about these winches? I've found limited info searching the web. Mostly 10-15 year old posts on Jeep forums. Appears to be a good winch just slow line speed.

I'm thinking about updating it with an Albright contactor and synthetic line and sticking it on my 100 once my ARB arrives. 8500lbs is a little light, IMO, but for my uses and with a snatch block it should do.

Last edited:
A friend has graciously offer to give me a Ramsey 8.5e winch that he's got sitting around and not using. It's in working order with the exception of a bad solenoid that keeps it from reversing. Anyone know anything about these winches? I've found limited info searching the web. Mostly 10-15 year old posts on Jeep forums. Appears to be a good winch just slow line speed.

I'm thinking about updating it with an Albright contractor and synthetic line and sticking it on my 100 once my ARB arrives. 8500lbs is a little light, IMO, but for my uses and with a snatch block it should do.
An Albright contractor would be the way to go!...Ramsey are fine winches, it should serve you well...post some pics if you get it..

I have the 9.5e on my K5 for over a decade, and she hasn't let me down. If you're worried that the 8.5 might not cut it, then run a shorter length of rope on the drum - that way you'll be on the lower layers of the drum. I currently have 50' on that 9.5e (my K5 has been described as 'rubenesque'...), and two extension ropes in the back. But my winch pulls are typically very short, and I know I will have to reset on longer pulls. I currently use 3/8" synthetic from Amazon, and have re-worked the loop with the thimble; those lines only bury maybe a foot of the rope after forming the loop, and that's including the taper. Still runnning the original solenoid box, but have an Albright contractor on the shelf.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to pick up the winch yesterday. Hooked it up briefly today to confirm function. As expected, it's got a bad solenoid and only runs forward. Also stripped the old cable off as it needs replaced for sure. Should be a fun project and hope to have it ready by the time my ARB arrives.

1BD61161-EEC6-48A7-AA04-1CEB5B75B525.jpeg

8CB91A39-AC9B-4D03-9BD9-A15146A6294A.jpeg

Does it fit in the ARB?

Unfortunately I haven't got it mounted yet. I've had a busy summer and not much time for projects. That said, I don't see any reason I won't fit as it's physically smaller than most of the 10k and 12k winches guys are running.

Unfortunately I haven't got it mounted yet. I've had a busy summer and not much time for projects. That said, I don't see any reason I won't fit as it's physically smaller than most of the 10k and 12k winches guys are running.
I'm asking because I am about to mount a Ramsey in an ARB bumper for an FJ Cruiser and it looks tight in there...

I'm asking because I am about to mount a Ramsey in an ARB bumper for an FJ Cruiser and it looks tight in there...

Ah, that could be a totally different animal then. There is a ton of room in the ARB for the 100 series and the thought of the winch not fitting hadn't even cross my mind. I'll keep this thread up dated then I get it mounted.

I've finally got the parts rolling in to rebuild my winch and hope to get started on it this weekend. Considering one solenoid was bad I decided to replace both with an Albright contactor since the cost difference was less than $20 vs just replacing the bad solenoid. I've found tons of wiring diagrams for series wound motors, but very few for permanent magnet motors like my Ramsey has. I've found a little help in the thread below, but nothing as concrete as my inexperienced self would like. Anyone have any guidance for me that has used an Albright with a permanent magnet motor?

The last post(in the thread you linked) is the diagram you want. Its also in the temco link provided

Thank you sir! That's what I was thinking, but was unsure. Thanks for the confirmation!

Finally wrapped up my rebuild. The Cam Ring was broke and handle missing so I replaced both of those. I used the opportunity to clock the gear box for my ARB bumper. I also cleaned it up and primed then painted with Rustoleum gloss charcoal gray.

C521C530-3B0B-4FE4-B8A3-411CAFDFA747.jpeg

4F5E65DC-7657-4680-9F8E-92E4973842DA.jpeg

I seriously considered going with synthetic rope, but went old school steel cable this time around. I was able to pick up 100' of 5/16" with hook for $58 from Summit Racing. That's half the cost of even Harbor Freight synthetic. We'll see how it holds up and if I get a year out of it I can replace it with synthetic without much of a loss. I had to use 1 1/2" bolts for the lower two instead of the recommended 1 1/4" due to the extra thickness of the fairlead
BB23BF6C-D6E7-4C0E-B91E-CC8C709DD42C.jpeg

One of the solenoids was bad so I replaced both with an Albright contactor. With a little modification it all fit in the control box. The extension cables that came with my ARB were along enough to allow me to relocate control box behind the passenger side headlight.

F62CB54E-FD62-44D5-AC75-F2A41F14D637.jpeg

Only step left is to tension the cable and add in a BlueSea disconnect on the positive cable.

winch.jpeg

Last edited: