Radio Shops in Victoria? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've just finished mounting my CB in the 80 and am wondering if there are shops in Victoria that can help me finish the installation? (wiring the transceiver, tuning, and maybe routing the coax)

Also, what would be the best means of powering the radio? tap into wiring? fuse box? or straight to the auxiliary battery. I'd want the radio to turn on and off with the car...

cheers

Why do you want CB specifically? VHF might be more useful these days. Handheld dual FRS/VHF units are popular too.

Power wiring would be similar to a stereo or amp. Use the accessory box under hood to turn on a fused relay when your key is at accessory or on (whatever you prefer). Fuse, relay and wire gauge will need to be right for the load.

If you want someone to do some of the work you could try radioworks.ca maybe?

Last edited:
Why do you want CB specifically? VHF might be more useful these days. Handheld dual FRS/VHF units are popular too.

Power wiring would be similar to a stereo or amp. Use the accessory box under hood to turn on a fused relay when your key is at accessory or on (whatever you prefer). Fuse, relay and wire gauge will need to be right for the load.

If you want someone to do some of the work you could try radioworks.ca maybe?

Appreciate the info!!!

I'll probably buy a handheld VHF at some point, but some friends that I explore with have CBs and it'd be nice to use that for our comms on the trails. This is also my introduction to radios so I feel CB will be good to start off and have fun with.

I’ve picked up a couple of Baofeng radios to have the frs and forest service channels on one hand held. I’ve not actually used them to transmit yet… technically you are required to have a Ham license to transmit except for emergency use. Although 100 miles past nowhere… :D

Listening in on channels is completely ok.

I’ve picked up a couple of Baofeng radios to have the frs and forest service channels on one hand held. I’ve not actually used them to transmit yet… technically you are required to have a Ham license to transmit except for emergency use. Although 100 miles past nowhere… :D

Listening in on channels is completely ok.
Ooo both on one radio, very cool. Glad to know that I don't need a license to listen, sounds like a good idea to buy a handheld VHF in that case!!

Ooo both on one radio, very cool. Glad to know that I don't need a license to listen, sounds like a good idea to buy a handheld VHF in that case!!
They’re also only about $40-50. They can be programmed to essentially any vhf channels and reduce output to comply with radio requirements.

Get two, at least 3 of us have one each.

I’ve been picking them up when I see them on Facebook Marketplace for a good price. I’m now up to 3… only reprogrammed 2 so far. My favourite so far is a BF-UV82 which has two talk buttons (one for each channel). I’m not an expert by any means, but be careful on Aliexpress with claims that an identical radio has more power or battery life… some sellers overstate ‘facts’.

I don’t have a bunker full of guns or anything crazy, but I can foresee a day when the cell towers go down and communication becomes a problem. On a good day cell reception is crapy in our neighborhood… forget what would happen if a flood took the power grid down for a while.

Last edited:
I’ve got a HAM and Marine VHF license and mounted a full wattage base station in both my dodge and my cruiser. They have all the RR, Ladd, Load Out and Search & Rescue channels (I’m with juan de fuca SAR) programmed into them. As well as a couple of extra channels I can program myself. Eventually a mounted base station is the way to go. Especially if you depend on the radio or if you do and hunting/wheeling in active logging areas. On the north island they are still using 16’ wide off highway trucks. That being said getting the licensing is a pain and being caught with a unlicensed radio that can broadcast on HAM/VHF can technically get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Are the chances of being caught high? No. Does anyone actually check? No.

Would logging companies prefer you radioed in in active logging areas so they don’t run you over even if you’re broadcasting illegally? Yes.

Will they start checking and cracking down on illegal use if people are assholes on the airways? Absolutely.

But back to your original question Victoria Mobile Radio has done all the work on my comms gear. They have done an excellent job for a good price and are happy to see people out there on radios. I’m sure that they would be happy to set your CB up properly and even give you some tips on using it.

PS I think if your buddies are using CB then that is a great place to start.

VA7WZF

Last edited:
I’ve got a HAM and Marine VHF license and mounted a full wattage base station in both my dodge and my cruiser. They have all the RR, Ladd, Load Out and Search & Rescue channels (I’m with juan de fuca SAR) programmed into them. As well as a couple of extra channels I can program myself. Eventually a mounted base station is the way to go. Especially if you depend on the radio or if you do and hunting/wheeling in active logging areas. On the north island they are still using 16’ wide off highway trucks. That being said getting the licensing is a pain and being caught with a unlicensed radio that can broadcast on HAM/VHF can technically get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Are the chances of being caught high? No. Does anyone actually check? No.

Would logging companies prefer you radioed in in active logging areas so they don’t run you over even if you’re broadcasting illegally? Yes.

Will they start checking and cracking down on illegal use if people are assholes on the airways? Absolutely.

But back to your original question Victoria Mobile Radio has done all the work on my comms gear. They have done an excellent job for a good price and are happy to see people out there on radios. I’m sure that they would be happy to set your CB up properly and even give you some tips on using it.

PS I think if your buddies are using CB then that is a great place to start.

VAZWZF
your setup sounds sweet! Thanks a lot for your insight, very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom