Radio Freqs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
The official club channels are 146.490 and 146.505. Those are ham radio channels and not sure if accessable from GMRS.

A HAM radio will you more options. You just need to pass the tech license test. It takes a little studying but is not too bad. If you need help studying for $30 you can subscribe to hamtestonline.com - IMHO the best out there.

I have a HAM and GMRS in my truck. The GMRS license is really easy to get and only like $10. Mine is 50 Watts. Personally, I think the GMRS is a good compromise between ultra capable HAM and ultra not-capable CB. I don't think any of us run CBs anymore. As mentioned, the GRMS overlaps with FRS which are highly accessible to the average person.

We actually have official channels for GMRS and CB as well. What we typically run is:

HAM 146.490
GMRS / FRS 22.
If someone brings a CB someone typically gets to play repeater and relay to them.

Frank

• Ham and GMRS licenses are $35 each for 10 years. The GMRS license covers the whole family.
  • The VHF (146 MHz) ham band will generally provide greater distance than GMRS which is in the UHF (450MHz) band, especially in mountainous terrain.
  • When traveling in a convoy on the highway or desert flatlands either works fine.
  • Having capability for both in your vehicle is the best way to be compatible with everyone. There are a few radios out there that can be made to work both ham and GMRS, but they're expensive, so it's less costly to get an inexpensive ham and inexpensive GMRS radio.
  • Ham folks are 'supposed' to use their FCC assigned callsigns at the beginning and end of every call and every 10 minutes of comms; however few do more than the absolute minimum where that's concerned, especially when far from town. Some hams can get a little defensive of the ham bands and will give unlicensed users or those not using call signs a hard time, it's really rare though...
  • GMRS callsign use is also required, but very rare to hear anyone using one, and you'll never hear anyone ask 'whats your call sign'...
  • As MTN RNR mentioned hamtestonline is a great way to study for the ham license and getting the tech license is really easy. I've seen people study for one day and pass the test.
  • Another free ham license study option is HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools - https://hamstudy.org/ and most online testing sessions utilize the hamstudy platform,
  • Online testing by some sites usually costs about $10-15; however online and in-person testing in San Diego area is free with lots of options as to when and where. License Classes & Testing - https://www.sandarc.org/index.php/typography/2013-10-21-13-29-46

Last edited:
That's great info Bud!

I am thinking if we start to see a lot of new folks with the new LC coming on board, many might be new to 4wheeling and completely new to comms. In those cases, the FRS/GMRS is much less intimidating. But having a licensed HAM on the run can be key when there is no cell service and you find yourself in an emergency.

Frank

That's great info Bud!

I am thinking if we start to see a lot of new folks with the new LC coming on board, many might be new to 4wheeling and completely new to comms. In those cases, the FRS/GMRS is much less intimidating. But having a licensed HAM on the run can be key when there is no cell service and you find yourself in an emergency.

Frank
Either Ham or GMRS can be a lifesaver in an emergency situation, but honestly once you're really in the boondocks the likelihood of making contact with the outside world is low, but perhaps better if you're on a mountaintop. Ham radio wise only the lower frequency HF ham bands will have the range necessary to increase odds of making contact with someone. Generally this means a higher class ham license as well... This happened very recently in Death Valley Amateur Radio Saves Family in Death Valley National Park - https://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-saves-family-in-death-valley-national-park

IMHO the single best emergency contact tool is one of the satellite communicators like the Garmin InReach (Iridium satellites) or SpotX (Globalstar satellites); these will get you in contact when nothing else will... albeit for a price $$$

To Pr, not sure how much dashboard realestate you want to dedicate to radios but if you got that GMRS, you can get a handheld HAM and use it when you need it. You could also go the other way if you want to get more into HAM. I printed a mount for dual BTech's since they use the same case and that's how I fit 2 radios in my truck.

Frank

Bud and Frank, thank you for the detailed information.

I think I'm gonna go with a GMRS for now. I've also got a Garmin InReach that I'll bring with me for emergencies.

Will probably go to HAM later, it's something that I've always been interested in and has applications to my work. Just need to study and learn before taking the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom