Radiator Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 94 with 128,000, has developed a radiator leak at the seam between the main body and top cap just below the filler hole. The location is obvious from the red spray on the air cleaner canister and bottom of the hood. I had a 85 FJ60 with the same problem and a shop was able to fix it. What's your experiences between fixing vs replaceing? New radiator price :'(

Douglas,
I just replaced mine (127k miles) I'm sure you can have it repaired,but I would not take the risk. Just the R/R of the radiator in any LC is not a simple procedure, and it is a real bummer to see the leak re-occur. (twice in my old FJ62) :-\

:( The new one is pricey (check with C-Dan) but there sure is less of a chance of failure. Just my opinion.

Good luck
Eduardo

There are aftermarket rads for ~US$250.

You can try leaning on the top tank to get the o-ring to seal better. I found my small rad leak went away after working on the rig and leaning on the top tank :).

I've heard of people successfully fixing this by using a drift to gently pound the aluminum fingers holding the top cap on so they hold slightly more tightly. Don't get carried away - you'll crack the plastic.

Best done ASAP to minimize accumulation of dried coolant crystals in the gap, which will prevent a good seal.

Doug

Douglas,
You probably don't want to hear it but a 10 year old radiator that has started leaking should be replaced. If you're otherwise pretty happy with the radiator (i.e. fins not bent, no gray sludge in the tank or the overflow, then I would try Doug's suggestion to see if it could be fixed; at least temporarily.

I would not take it out and have a radiator shop try to fix a 10 year old radiator; it's just not worth it. Give C-Dan a call as he recently bought a new one for his '93 and I'm pretty sure he will have one in stock.

(He keeps *everything* for a '93 in stock! You guys are soooo lucky.) :D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom