Radiator bypass hose broken HELP!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MJB

Threads
I just broke the nipple on the radiator that connects to the radiator bypass hose on my '96. I need the rig tommorow, can I just plug it and run it?? I think it heats the throttle body. HELP!!!

Last edited:
Well, I plugged the hose and the radiator, so now the bypass is blocked, took it for a spin, twenty two miles and no issues, it went through a full heat cycle and I watched for anything unusual during cool down. There appear to be no issues.

The bypass runs from the little nipple on the radiator strait into the cast piece where the hot water exits the head. I'm not sure it is doing anything other than making a little loop. I had read that it ran warm water to the throttle body, but I don't see how it would get it there.

I guess I'll find out, as I'm taking it on a 150 mile jaunt tommorow. If anyone thinks I am going to cause any damage PLEASE let me know.

Last edited:
We often remove and plug those permanetly with no issues whatsoever.:)

UPDATE

I put 365 miles on it this weekend with zero issues. I may go Toads route, but unless there is some unseen plumbing INSIDE the cyl. head water outlet, I can't see that hose doing anything.

Quote: "unless there is some unseen plumbing INSIDE the cyl. head water outlet, I can't see that hose doing anything."

well, I suppose one could ask oneself: would Toy put a hose someplace that does literally nothing? :)

Last edited:
It seems like you need 'some' flow through the block during heat up; otherwise, the water 'deep' in the block could be really, bilstering, hot, but the water by the T-stat is still quite cool due to lack of circulation (water path impedes natural circulation)

and doesn't the bypass flow allow 'warmer' (durning warmup) water to the cabin heater ?
Otherwise, you wouldn't get warmth until engine is wam enough to open the T stat ....

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom